Company: MIT Lincoln Laboratory
The Engineering Division works in partnership with all the other Laboratory technical divisions to design and build advanced technology systems of national importance. Projects include space and aircraft payloads and ground-based systems.
The Division’s expertise includes mechanical, materials, aero, thermal, optical, control, and fabrication engineering plus energy and autonomous systems. Supporting the engineering efforts are a wide range of specialized laboratories, electronics and mechanical fabrication capabilities, plus integration and environmental test facilities.
The division’s groups work collaboratively in cross-divisional teams supporting a wide range of projects. Special emphasis is placed on the integration of design and analysis capabilities to support the rapid prototyping of hardware systems.
MIT LL is currently seeking an experienced Software Architect. The successful candidate will be responsible for collaborating with Engineers, Designers, Fabrication Professionals and the enterprise architecture group to architect, design, develop and implement software solutions to address complex research and business operation problems, and provide technical leadership within the divisions IT department. The ideal applicant will have worked previously in an engineering or research driven environment and has experience with Digital Enterprise Transformation, PLM and or SAP enterprise applications.
- Collaborate with Engineers, Designers, Fabrication Professionals, IT and other stakeholders to architect, design, develop and implement software solutions and systems
- Define and understand the elements, connections, behaviors, and properties of an engineering software system
- Interpret technical, research and business requirements to articulate the needs to be addressed
- Work with stake-holders to define engineering data model – which are enterprise-level data, which are local to engineering system
- Determine short and long term integration strategies, architectures and designs to reduce constraints and roadblocks to application integration
- Design a holistic engineering software architecture that includes PLM system, enterprise-level SAP S4, or other local engineering software tools
- Define the architectural drivers – functional requirements, business constraints (cost, schedule, scope), quality attributes and constraints; quality attributes include functional suitability, performance efficiency, compatibility, usability, reliability, security, maintainability, and portability
- Evaluate trade-offs between granularity of system components, how they interact, and how the components are organized
- Meet regularly with stake-holder to review architecture, potential additions, and changes to software model
- Understand architectural patterns and provide guidelines for organizing elements of engineering system
- Update architecture work products
- Lead developers to ensure software implementation meets architectural vision
- Collaborate with peers laboratory-wide, quality assurance, and end users to produce cutting-edge software solutions
Communication, Collaboration, Training
- Act as a liaison with other subject matter experts and users of the systems.
- Documents and communicates ongoing work and design changes to IT and research.
- Collaborates across teams to ensure standard system functionality is identified and used in all relevant situations.
- Develops, publishes, and maintains documentation according to department standards.
- Develops and delivers training on applications capabilities to increase user acceptance.
- Communicate architecture and trade-offs to stake-holders laboratory-wide
- Performs a variety of complicated tasks and may direct the work of others. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
- Involved in planning of system and development, testing, deployment.
- Identifies and proposes both business process and system design related reengineering and streamlining opportunities for implementation.
- Ensures business requirements are met by monitoring available metrics and collecting feedback.
- Acts as the stakeholder’s advocate to IT in order to ensure that problems are resolved effectively and expeditiously.
Qualifications - Required
- Master's degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- 5+ years' experience designing and building software applications
- 2+ years of designing and delivering large scale enterprise distributed systems
- Hands-on experience with of C++/object oriented programs, SQL, web application development, security and open source technologies
- Experience with SQL and database management systems and client-server concepts
- Solid understanding of security/access control, scalability, high availability, and concurrency patterns
- Good understanding of software development processes and methodologies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and ability to effectively communicate to a variety of stakeholders
- Ability to communicate and apply architectural design patterns across a wide range of technical problems
- Experience with ERP systems, master data and architectural principles
- Working knowledge of the software lifecycle and methodologies.
- Ability to work independently toward delivery of milestones as well as collaborate in team efforts.
- Demonstrated skill in developing and analyzing process and data flows.
- Skilled in requirements collection and analysis to identify needs and constraints
- Skilled in building consensus among stakeholders and colleagues
- Excellent business, functional, technical acumen
- Solid understanding of programming concepts with multiple programming environments and languages
- Project management and collaboration skills to succeed in matrixed environment
- Proven Digital Enterprise Transformation experience in architecture, requirements gathering, development, deployment and support
- Proven SAP experience in architecture, requirements gathering, development, deployment and support
- certification, or familiarity with various architecture methodologies (TOGAF, DODAF, Zachmann, …)
- Aras Innovator experience
- Experience with reports development
- Working with change management tools for software life cycle development
- Experience with XML and SQL
- .NET and MS stack experience
- Experience in Digital Enterprise Transformation or Enterprise Data Management domain
- Experience designing and implementing contiguous integration and development systems and configurations
This position reports to the Division IT Manager
This position interacts frequently with application owners for functionality prioritization feedback on tradeoff decisions
This position routinely interacts with MIT-LL users