Sr. Application Architect
Job ID: 15297BR
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
The primary function of this position is to provide architectural guidance, technological recommendations and transition strategies that support the development and implementation of initiatives based on Common Delivery, Services Based Architecture, and Agility for complex and/or multiple projects.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Successful individuals in this role will be able to:
- Perform initial high-level application design (class/interface level and above)
- Document design using appropriate artifacts (ex. UML, XSD)
- Communicate design to technical leads and development teams
- Review low-level design and code produced by development team to ensure adherence to design and development standards
- Define, communicates, and helps train teams on development standards (coding standards, technology choices), best practices, and appropriate tools
- Maintain vision/strategy for evolving applications over time
- Ensure application designs meet documented SLA/SLOs.
- Work with architects and business on early project vision, and Architecture blueprint. Review design roadmap for impacted systems, and look for opportunities to move systems toward long-term design vision. Provide technical guidance on early project requirements, identifying areas of complexity and looking for alternative approaches with lower complexity/cost.
- Define and socialize application-development standards and best practices. Actively enforce those standards across projects.
- Provide thought leadership on evolving and improving technical design and development practices.
- Assist in the execution of departmental and corporate programs
- Advocate the use of technology to develop and/or redesign the organization’s process
- Build and leverage effective alliances across technical and business community
- Other duties as assigned
High School diploma or equivalent required. 3 years of experience in enterprise, application, and/or information architecture required.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred.
5 years of experience in enterprise, application, and/or information architecture preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively in a highly-collaborative team environment
- Strong knowledge and experience with object-oriented design principles and practices
- Strong knowledge and experience with at least one of the following object-oriented programming languages: C#, Java, VB.NET
- Strong knowledge and experience in unit testing
- Solid knowledge and experience with developing/maintaining web services
- Solid knowledge and experience with XML technologies including XML, XSD, XPATH
- Solid knowledge and experience with SQL and relational databases
- Knowledge of design patterns
- Knowledge of good design principles
- Experience with a source-code repository
- Strong technical, analysis, debugging and problem-resolution skills
- Insurance background
- Agile knowledge/experience: Scrum, XP, Kanban, SAFe, Rally ALM
- Knowledge of code smells and refactoring patterns
- Aspect-oriented programming, dependency injection
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
Technical Knowledge: Has master level knowledge of multiple programming disciplines and a thorough understanding of the business that the assigned projects are supporting. Uses this understanding of thebusiness and systems environment to develop appropriate and timely solutions to daily issues. Has conceptual knowledge of varying technologies and the ability to make decisions based on that knowledge
Business Knowledge & Partnership: Creates an atmosphere where business partner’s issues are dealt withprofessionally, and in a timely manner. Suggests solutions that make sense and optimize the value of assignedprojects. Communicates openly and effectively in a manner consistent with the audience. Recognizes theimportance of superior quality in providing a competitive edge. Ensures that reports are precise, timely and accurate
Problem Solving & Decision Making: Demonstrates sound analytic and diagnostic skills dealing with issues that are loosely defined and/or where information is available but must be further manipulated. Once decisions are made, is able to follow and direct action to implement intended results. Breaks a problem down to manageable pieces and implements effective, timely solutions. Openly and directly confronts conflict until resolved
Team Orientation: Builds relationships with peers and other departments to achieve objectives, to work as one team and to secure necessary resources not under his/her personal control. Balances team and individual responsibilities. Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views. Gives and welcomes feedback. Puts success of team above own interest
Leadership: Supports a distinct business unit or several smaller functions. Responsibilities are assigned withsome latitude for setting priorities and decision-making using established policies and procedures. Results are reviewed with next level manager for clarification and direction before proceeding
Planning and Project Management: Works with the project manager/manager in identifying those project tasks that are most important, establishes clear priorities and understands the larger picture. Anticipates and effectively responds to changes in workload and resources
Financial Awareness: Understands, has input to the budget process, and shares responsibility for cost-effective expense control of assigned projects. Is responsible for important and confidential information
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.