What we are looking for:
Data, and how they are used, play a central role at MasterClass and are at the heart of how we make marketing, business, product, content, and operational decisions. Our growing Data organization (Analytics, Data Science, and Data Engineering) is a specialized, cross-functional group that collaborates with a variety of departments to drive decisions and provide direction for future growth at MasterClass. The team tackles challenging problems across many technical disciplines, including time series forecasting, causal inference, and optimization. We are looking for an exceptional Sr. Data Analyst with a proven track record of conducting deep analysis to help explain trends and identify opportunities, and applying advanced quantitative techniques to solve business problems. The ideal candidate is also an expert at synthesizing and communicating insights and actionable recommendations to audiences at varying levels of technical sophistication.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Own end-to-end data analysis experience -- gather business requirements, formulate and test hypotheses, conduct data analysis, apply statistical modeling techniques, develop visualization/dashboards, communicate and present findings and actionable insights to business stakeholders and non-technical audiences.
- Partner with various departments (e.g. Product, Content, etc.) to define core metrics that serves as North Star for team efforts; to measure impact and efficiency of products, features, and business processes; to identify opportunities, assess risk potentials and explain trends; to drive audience and revenue growth
- Design, analyze, and run both simulated and live experiments (A/B and multivariate tests) to drive KPI improvement
- Apply strong business judgment to data analysis and make and defend meaningful conclusions and recommendations
- Build, maintain, and communicate detailed reporting, visualization, and other tools to deliver business insights and to show business health
- Continuously improve the quality and accessibility of our analytical framework and data reporting infrastructure
- Assist in data requirements gathering and data validations to improve data platforms
- Efficiently manage his/her own project queue and develop streamlined workflows
- BA/BS degree in a related quantitative field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering, Physics). Advanced degree preferred.
- 4+ years of relevant working experience in a similar role, preferably for online content, video, subscription or e-commerce property/platform
- Proficient in SQL with the ability to write structured and efficient queries on large data sets (e.g. Redshift, PostgreSQL, BigQuery, Impala/Hadoop, Teradata) and programming/scripting language (e.g. Python, R)
- Expert knowledge with business intelligence tools (e.g. Looker, Tableau) and web analytics tools (e.g. Amplitude, Google Analytics, Adobe)
- Expertise with statistical analyses, application, and concepts (e.g. regressions, experiment design, classification etc.)
- Strategically-minded yet strong detail-orientation with a penchant for data accuracy
- Proven ability to solve problems, learn quickly, work independently, and adapt to change in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication and presentation skills
- Exemplary relationship builder who is consultative in nature and form partnerships with coworkers and customers
- Ability to work full-time in our San Francisco office
- Legally eligible to work in the United States