Reporting to the Divisional Controller – Pulp & Paper, the Senior Analyst will prepare critical management reports, perform financial analysis and engage in special projects, as well as work with the Pulp & Paper Controller on significant and technical accounting matters.
- Possess a strong working knowledge of U.S. GAAP and assist the Divisional Controller - Pulp & Paper with the interpretation of US GAAP and other relevant accounting guidance (including Domtar policy) - encompassing complex areas of GAAP including LIFO, ARO accounting, ASC 842 (Leases);
- Perform relevant accounting research and prepare accounting memos on accounting treatment. Train and provide guidance on new and recurring accounting interpretations;
- Support multiple locations in technical accounting and financial reporting matters;
- Drive uniformity in accounting and processes across the entire Pulp and Paper Division;
- Assist the Corporate Reporting group with relevant accounting items;
- Special projects as directed. This role could include special project assignments that span 2 weeks and beyond that will require flexibility in your day to day tasks. These projects could entail identifying and solving potential accounting/operational challenges at a site or sites. The ability to stay organized and on top of these tasks is paramount;
- Actively participate in and lead division-wide initiatives to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of financial reporting;
Key Skill Sets:
- Work well in a team-based environment while also working independently on individual tasks.
- Excellent analytical skills with a high-level of attention to detail;
- Advance knowledge of Excel, including advanced formulas & pivot tables;
- Strong oral and written communication skills – the ability to communicate effectively in day to day communications (e.g. emails), as well as writing lengthy and complex technical accounting memoranda;
- Ability to take complex accounting work and data and be able to review, summarize and explain them in a succinct and effective manner to the Divisional Controller for Pulp and Paper;
Required Qualifications/Professional Experience:
- BA/BS Degree in Accounting required, as well as either a CPA or CMA designation
- 6+ years of work experience in Accounting encompassing 2-4 years' experience in a Big 4 public accounting firm.
- Experience with manufacturing clients and SEC registrant clients. Ideally, a combination of Big 4 public accounting as well as experience in accounting within a large manufacturing company
- A strong working knowledge and experience in working in a SOX control environment - helping to ensure adherence to SOX & ensuring the Company's annual SOX plan is both efficient and effective