What are we looking for?
Following Kellen Best Practices, manages the day-to-day operations of one or more association clients, serving as Executive Director or Association Manager to oversee strategy, operations, and initiatives related to Board facilitation, membership, communications, conferences and meetings, and financial oversight.
What will you do?
Board Management and Strategy
- Provides leadership to and interacts with the Board of Directors and committees, attends meetings and prepares agendas and minutes as appropriate.
- In conjunction with Board President and/or outside consultant, facilitates strategic planning and oversees execution of plan, regularly communicating progress to Board.
- Aids Board President in identifying officers, committee chairs, and other leaders and representatives with skills and experience that align with the current and future needs of the organization and assists with on-boarding.
- Continuously identifies and communicates to Board specific opportunities for organization to expand its influence and/or market.
Member Programs and Services
- Implements programs and campaigns to attract new members and/or subscribers.
- Identifies and develops new programs and benefits to meet the evolving needs of members.
- Oversees development of membership standards.
- Creates and maintains partnerships/relationships with related industry organizations to increase awareness and grow membership.
Conference and Meeting Management
- In collaboration with Board and Meetings Manager, develops strategy for frequency, location and type of meeting and conferences events to optimize and support the organization’s programmatic, services, and product offerings.
- Supporting Meetings Manager and conference planning committees, develops detailed project plan, and oversees its implementation through team of event coordinators, marketing, speakers, professional technical support vendors, and local officials. Establishes contingency plans for all aspects of possible failure.
- Plans and controls event budgets.
Fundraising, Marketing and Outreach
- Oversees development and distribution of association publications, including advertising sales.
- Oversees association partnerships and coordinates relevant marketing deliverables.
- Supports grant-writing and solicitation efforts of the association, as needed.
- Works in conjunction with association Controller to prepare annual budget in alignment with strategy and goals of the association.
- Advises Board of unexpected, impactful deviations from budget and recommends adjustments and cost containment strategies.
- Monitors compliance with association contracts and negotiates renewals.
- Approves monthly expenses. Other duties that align with the mission and vision of the company.
Am I qualified?
- Bachelors’ degree in business administration, marketing, communication, human resources, finance, or other related discipline, plus 8 to 10 years’ experience in similar capacity.
- Association Management experience required; Certified Association Executive (CAE) certification strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in supervision of professional and administrative staff and day-to-day operations of human resources activities.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with financial management, budgeting, and oversight of organization- wide budgets of at least $750,000 - $2MM or more.
- Polished communication skills, both written and verbal, and interpersonal skills, including conflict resolution.
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in spreadsheet, word-processing, database, and presentation software applications.Experience with associate management software desired along with the ability to learn new software packages.
- Ability to interface with executive leadership, establish credibility and build effective relationships.
- Strong customer service orientation and the ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels of the organization.
- Effective planning and organization skills to effectively manage multiple client relationships/associations at any given time.Reliability to maintain established schedule, manage time and priorities, and meet commitments and deadlines.
- Creative and strategic thinker with the ability to set priorities based on customer needs and organizational priorities and preferences, and develop solutions to client challenges.
- Flexibility, adaptability, and the ability to effectively manage through change and transition.
- Proactive and collaborative working style.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with poise, tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to stay abreast of client industry trends and assimilate new job-related information appropriately.
- Experience working with and motivating a volunteer workforce desired.
May supervise Account Coordinator. If so, carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Travel may be necessary, up to 20% of the time and may be by travel by air, car, rail.