The Director, Business Development will secure and retain business for PPD through professional, consultative, proactive sales activities directed at decision makers and decision influencers at existing and new medical communication sponsors. Oversee the sales activities (including, but not limited to cold calling, proposal writing, contract negotiation, sales presentations, support of client relations) of assigned BD executives. Director will position PPD as a primary or preferred provider for all professional call center, post marketing safety and medical writing work to be outsourced.
Manages BD Executives who call on prospective clients and holds them accountable to meeting BD goals and objectives for new and growth business. Director will also be responsible for meeting an individual sales target as well as a sales target for the BD team. The amount of the Director's individual and group sales targets will be determined each year by PPD Sr. Management.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors degree in science or business
- 5 years sales experience in pharmaceutical, CRO or equivalent industry
- Or equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the job
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Computer skills to handle sales automation, word processing, spreadsheets, power point and email
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to manage people and tasks
- Problem solving
- Sales skills
- Contract negotiation skills
- Work is performed in an office and/or laboratory and/or clinic environment with exposure to electrical office equipment.
- Frequently drives to site locations and clients, frequently travels both domestic and internationally with extended overnight stays.
- Exposure to fluctuating temperatures frequently during travel.
- Frequently stationary and/or moving for 6-8 hours per day.
- Repetitive hand movement of both hands with the ability to make fast, simple, repeated movements of the fingers, hands, and wrists.
- Frequent mobility required.
- Occasional crouching, stooping, bending and twisting of upper body and neck.
- Light to moderate lifting and carrying (or otherwise moves) objects including luggage and laptop computer with a maximum lift of 15-20 lbs.
- Ability to access and use a variety of computer software developed both in-house and off-the-shelf.
- Ability to communicate complex information and ideas so others will understand; with the ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Frequently interacts with others, relates sensitive information to diverse groups both internally and externally.
- Ability to apply abstract principles to solve complex conceptual issues. Performs a wide range of semi-complex tasks as dictated by variable demands and changing conditions with little predictability as to the occurrence.
- Ability to perform under stress.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Regular and consistent attendance.