As a mutual company, we are independent by nature, so we think about insurance solutions a little differently. Through listening, problem solving, examining your challenges and collaborating on the right solutions for you, Preferred Mutual independent agents provide flexible solutions and adapt to your evolving needs. We do the same for our employees. We are process and domain experts, focused on the solutions that deliver results for our clients and our company. We offer a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. With Preferred, there are no surprises. You can count on us to deliver on our promises and be there when you need us, as your insurance provider and your employer. Preferred Mutual is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
YOUR PURPOSE AND FUNCTION IN OUR COMPANY:
The Database Administrator is responsible for maintaining operational performance, integrity and security of enterprise database services to the organization. This role will provide database expertise in planning, development and deployment of databases as well as troubleshooting issues. The Database Administrator will:
• Assist with architecture, design, and implementation of comprehensive solutions that meet or exceed company business requirements,
• Working with the data Architect, build and refine data architecture in a complex distributed database environment within the development lifecycle framework,
• Focus on and lead areas of data migration and data integration,
• Working with Applications Services team, provide guidance and governance on database design and integration during application development life cycle,
• Advance data security framework as data security standards change, performing audits to ensure compliance within SLAs,
• Provide assistance and governance on database deployments,
• Review service related reports (e.g.: database backups, maintenance, monitoring) on a daily basis to ensure service related issues are identified and resolved within SLAs,
• Respond to database related alerts and escalations, working with others to develop strategic solutions to recurring problems,
• Perform capacity management studies to ensure that storage, processing, and overall demands of the database environments do not exceed the capacity of the host equipment.
KEY CAPABILITIES FOR SUCCESS:
• Motivated team oriented mentality,
• Demonstrated high sense of ownership in areas of responsibility, problems or assigned tasks,
• Ability to focus on managing and resolving issues in alignment with established SLAs escalating when appropriate,
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with others, which includes peers, management, and external partners/vendors,
• Ability to proactively recognize potential issues and escalate,
• Experience with troubleshooting and resolving database issues as they arise,
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with deadlines and changing priorities,
• Proven track record in full life cycle management of database development; analysis; design; installation; testing; optimization & performance tuning; and ongoing support requirements,
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Education and Certifications
• Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, computer Science, or related field; or equivalent work experience,
• 5+ years working with MS SQL databases and database administration,
• Microsoft MCTS, MCITP, MCM, and / or MCA certified a plus.
Knowledge and Experience
• Knowledge of database design principles,
• Experience with backups, restores, and recovery models,
• Knowledge of High Availability and Disaster Recovery options for MS SQL Server,
• Experience in implementing operational automation using scripts,
• Experience with report development tools, Microsoft Power BI, and Microsoft Reporting Services,
• Strong working knowledge of implementing and supporting SQL Server replication and distributed database architecture,
• Experience with Service Oriented Architectures and application to data integration implementations,
• Strong working knowledge of Date Warehousing and SSAS Data mining technologies.
This role (job) description indicates in general terms, the type and level of work performed as well as the typical responsibilities of employees in this classification. The duties described are not to be interpreted as being all-inclusive to any specific employee. Management reserves the rights to add, modify, change or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job. Nothing in this position description changes the at-will employment relationship existing between Preferred Mutual Insurance Company and its employees.