Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an international biopharmaceutical company focused on improving patients’ lives by identifying, developing and commercializing meaningful products that address unmet medical needs. We are continuing to expand our commercial product portfolio and our research and development pipeline in therapeutic areas that can leverage our unique expertise.
Our therapeutic areas of focus include sleep and hematology/oncology – areas in which we have a deep understanding of the patient journey and a suite of products and product candidates to address critical needs.
We are looking for the best and brightest talent to join our team. If you’re looking to be a part of a company with an unwavering commitment to improving patients’ lives and being a great place to work, we hope you’ll explore our career openings and get to know Jazz Pharmaceuticals.
The Corporate Counsel, Commercialization and Franchise Strategy, acts as dedicated legal counsel to customer groups and functions within North America. The role regularly interacts with the Marketing, Sales, Medical Affairs, and Regulatory Affairs departments and provides legal support for other departments and areas of the organization as needed. The Corporate Counsel, Commercialization and Franchise Strategy, is responsible for advising and collaborating with the business on a broad array of issues related to the commercialization, launch, marketing, and sale of pharmaceuticals in the U.S. The ideal candidate must have a thorough understanding of the laws and regulations applicable to pharmaceutical companies operating within the U.S., as well as experience counseling pharmaceutical clients regarding risks in these areas. The type of strategic counseling necessary at this level requires this person to apply in-depth knowledge of the company, external environment, and industry best practices to analyze and solve issues.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Serve as primary legal support for one or more brands and/or franchises and related business functions. This includes providing solutions-oriented legal advice and counsel on marketing and medical affairs strategies, promotional tactics and materials, direct-to-consumer advertising campaigns and programs, FDA labeling, healthcare fraud and abuse laws, anti-kickback statute and other laws impacting the commercialization of pharmaceutical products in the U.S.
- Proactively identify potential legal risks; formulate and communicate compliant and practical solutions that meet corporate, franchise and marketing strategic objectives and priorities.
- Understand business priorities, fiscal impacts and implications. Balance legal risks with the need to meet business priorities. Partner with the business to identify creative strategies to keep within budget goals and expectations.
- Conduct thorough and reasoned analysis of complex legal issues, and develop creative and effective solutions using in-depth knowledge of the company, relevant laws and regulations, the external environment, and industry best practices.
- Identify the need for new, or updates to existing, policies and procedures. Provide legal expertise whilst partnering with the business to develop meaningful and relevant policies, SOPs, and guidance documents.
- Serve as a legal representative on promotional materials review committee and provide legal review of franchise training materials and corporate communications related to franchise topics.
- Serve as legal representative on medical affairs materials review committee and serve as the legal representative on other corporate, marketing, and medical affairs committees on an as-needed basis.
- Guide colleagues on appropriate relationships with healthcare professionals, patients, managed care entities, healthcare organizations and government officials and entities.
- Apply legal expertise, drafting, and negotiation skills to counsel and support franchise team(s) to effectively manage risks on contractual matters, including review and negotiation of legal agreements related to franchise projects and programs, commercial contracts, vendor agreements, service agreements, and consulting agreements.
- Advise stakeholders on the interpretation of applicable laws and regulations in a manner that provides practical legal advice while properly managing risk to the organization.
- Create and deliver training and other presentations to business partners and other members of team on legal topics and other relevant subjects.
- Drive increased efficiency, coordination, and effectiveness of legal advice, processes and support to meet the needs of the business and other key stakeholders.
- Serve as part of matrixed teams involved in franchise activities and collaborate effectively, find common ground, and build alignment with relevant stakeholders.
- Lead special projects and cross-functional teams that impact the department and business partners.
- Partner with Legal department colleagues in executing and enhancing corporate and department objectives.
- Keep informed of new laws, regulations, and industry trends to identify any potentials impacts to the organization.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Minimum 7+ years of combined experience in-house and with a law firm, with some of those years in-house at a biotech or pharmaceutical company.
- Experienced in advising clients on laws and regulations governing the pharmaceutical industry, including but not limited to FDA regulations, False Claims Act, Anti-Kickback Statute, OIG guidance, the PhRMA Code, HIPAA, and product liability laws.
- Demonstrated experience working in a matrixed business environment, managing multiple commitments and clients while prioritizing conflicting demands, maintaining focus on corporate objectives and providing quality customer service.
- Must be self-motivated, proactive, strategic, and exhibit excellent judgment.
- Ability to be successful within a fast-paced, evolving environment.
- Possess the ability and willingness to advance new ideas and recognize when decisions may have a broad impact on the global organization.
- Consistently take action and drive issues to closure and hold self and others accountable for achieving results.
- Adept at understanding of the motivation and needs of others and effectively communicating with a diverse audience, including senior leaders, in a manner that generates confidence and support for proposals/recommendations.
- Adept at the ability to develop close, trusting relationships with a diverse set of individuals, characterized by a high-level of collaboration and mutual respect.
- Demonstrates a strong sense of self-awareness and skills to diffuse difficult situations and resolve conflicts.
- Demonstrated experience interpreting and drafting legal documents, including contracts.
- Legal analysis and advice is well thought out and accurate, potential legal and compliance issues are consistently identified, Corporate Counsel takes ownership and responsibility for legal issues that arise with the franchise(s) and function(s) he or she supports.
- Ability to create and deliver effective oral presentations, train, and educate stakeholders and members of the department on legal topics and issues.
- Must consistently demonstrate leadership behaviors and ability within the U.S. Brands team, the Legal Department, and within the broader organization.
Required Education and Licenses
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree; licensed to practice law in the U.S.
Description of Physical Demands
- Periodic travel 10-20%.
- Routinely sitting for extended periods of time.
- Constantly operating a computer, printer, telephone and other similar office machinery.
Description of Work Environment
- Work indoors in normal office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust, fumes, vibrations and temperature changes.
- Frequent computer use at workstation.
- Responsibilities may require a work schedule that may include working outside of “normal” hours, in order to meet business demands.