We are currently looking for a RF/Microwave Design Engineer with a broad range of experience to join our engineering team in a highly collaborative and hands-on role that supports the analysis, design, implementation, optimization, production support, and enhancement of RF/microwave equipment for launch vehicle and satellite communication systems. In particular, the successful candidate needs an understanding of detail design issues involved with high-frequency communication equipment design for S-, X-, and Ka- bands. The individual will use simulation tools such as Microwave Office, as well as RF/Microwave test equipment. The individual will apply knowledge of component-level design for development of RF/microwave amplifiers, filters, upconverters, oscillators and switches and verify engineering designs through measurement of S-parameters, noise figure, intercept point, compression point, switching speed, spurious and phase noise on electrical circuits, components and integrated RF/microwave assemblies.Essential Functions:
- Design prototypes and provide sustaining engineering support for custom RF/microwave assemblies and sub-systems to customer specifications.
- Design, test, and troubleshoot RF/microwave sub-systems, integrated microwave assemblies, and components through use of circuit analysis tools such as MWO.
- Evaluate, develop, and document new circuit and/or design techniques.
- Perform technical analysis/feasibility for new product specifications, evaluate customer specifications, and support cost/technical proposal generation.
- Collaborate with a cross-functional engineering team to produce integrated system design solutions.
- Guide technicians on test, tune, debug, and optimization of prototype circuits and components to meet specification requirements and manufacturing requirements.
- Provide product support for in-production designs.
(refer to Career Framework)
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Education: A bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or a related engineering degree is required. Four (4) years of related experience in designing, testing and troubleshooting RF/Microwave sub-systems integrated microwave assemblies and components: working knowledge of electronics including power and RF theory; RF/Microwave parameters & test procedures. OR an Associate Degree with a minimum of 8 years of prior related experience OR Graduate Degree and a minimum of 2 years of prior related experience.
- Design Experience: Experience with RF design for high-bandwidth upconverters, mixers, drivers, and power amplifiers at 2 GHz to 8 GHz. Experience with frequency planning, design for phase-based modulation formats, and design for wide-bandwidth/high data rate applications.
- Computer skills: exposure to a networked environment using a Windows and/or Windows like interface using Microsoft Office suite; ability to use enterprise-wide information systems such as CostPoint; and ability to use CAD design tools.
- Aerospace experience, especially working with flight critical systems.
- Experience on rocket avionics or satellite systems is a big plus.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Leadership: ability to provide technical leadership to multidisciplinary design and production teams.
- Time Management & Organizational skills: ability to plan effectively using various scheduling tools, flexibility and adaptability to changing priorities and assignments, ability to maintain confidentiality.