ROLE: How you contribute to RYAM
Manage site labor relations to maintain a healthy relationship between employees (unionized and staff), management and union representatives which are the foundation of a productive and harmonious workplace.
- Contribute to the ongoing transformation of the Temiscaming site.
- Ensure correct interpretation and consistent application of collective agreement, grievance procedures, legislation and company policies.
- Enhance employee engagement, to ensure our people feel good about their work, motivated, and loyal to the organization.
COMMITMENTS: What it means to work at RYAM
- Live up to RYAM’s values, principles and guidelines.
- Bring an open and cooperative attitude to your job, contributing to a positive work environment.
- Comply with all health, safety and environmental standards, as well as applicable regulations and laws.
ACCOUNTABILITIES: What RYAM expects you to do
- Promote and provide a safe workplace, seek improvements, and support the Health & Safety program.
- Support compliance with the collective agreement and sound union/management/employee relations.
- Provide site management with labor relations expertise and counsel aligned with production and workforce objectives.
- Coach site managers, supervisors and union representatives to work as partners with complementary roles.
- Align all labor relations projects with the Corporate direction.
- Contribute to the site HR team as well-rounded human resources professional and participate in special projects as assigned.
- Report to Manager – Human Resources.
- Understand fully the collective agreement, communicate its essentials to ensure correct interpretation, and monitor operations to ensure consistent application.
- Ensure compliance with applicable workforce legislation and regulations.
- Support management and supervisors in administration of grievance procedures, disciplinary matters and letters of understanding.
- Follow-up on grievances, prepare for and participate in arbitration procedures and collective bargaining, and work with law firms as required.
- Serve as the company’s representative on various joint committees.
- Support the recruitment process for unionized employees as required.
- Stay informed on all developments related to labor relations and make recommendations related to the site’s interests.
- Collect/analyze data to identify trends and target improvements.
- Report systematically on trends, results and project status.
REQUIREMENTS: What you bring to our workplace
- Education: University degree with specialization in human resources or labor/industrial relations.
- Experience: 15 years in an industrial unionized environment, with proven ability to lead the labor relations function.
- Knowledge of applicable laws, regulations, and best practices.
- Leadership and strong influence skills.
- Interpersonal and communication skills.
- High level of rigor (analysis, writing, follow-up of files).
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Computer literacy and proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Bilingual: English and French (spoken and written).
SETTING & LIFESTYLE: What to expect at the site and in the region
- RYAM’s Canadian flagship Temiscaming site has 700 employees in production facilities for specialty cellulose, high-yield pulp, coated bleached board and chemicals.
- The town of Temiscaming has a population of 1,500 and the comprehensive shopping and services of two larger communities, North Bay, Ontario, and Ville Marie, Québec, are less than an hour’s drive away.
- The area appeals to outdoor enthusiasts, offering many recreational activities and facilities.
RAYONIER ADVANCED MATERIALS IN BRIEF
Rayonier Advanced Materials is a global manufacturer of forest products, including lumber, paper, packaging and a global leader of high purity cellulose, a natural polymer commonly found in cell phones, computer screens, filters and pharmaceuticals. With manufacturing operations in the U.S., Canada and France, Rayonier Advanced Materials employs approximately 4,200 people and generates approximately US$2 billion of revenues.