The Service Activation Technician exists within Windstream Business's Service Delivery organization and is primarily focused on supporting new service installation of Internet, MPLS and Firewall products. The Service Activation Technician is for supporting more complex installations, customer and carrier services, non-standard CPE configurations, coordinating overall network implementations, and actively participating in report and quality analysis as required. This requires call intervention, technical support, assuming ownership of customer escalations, providing pro-active management and internal customer updates on a more condensed interval, more quickly isolating root cause, and summarizing the overall circumstance as required.
• Work directly with Customer. Vendors and Field Personal to turn up data networks, and equipment including but not limited to, CPE, Firewalls, Access points, and bandwidth diversity boxes.
• Troubleshooting complex routing issues between PE and CPE and CPE to Customer.
• Act as an interdepartmental technical liaison and actively participate in various process, systems, and quality projects.
• Candidate must have strong communication skills, and be able to articulate himself or herself well in writing and orally.
• Role requires demonstrated technical proficiency with T1 circuit, CPE, and IP networking configuration, trouble-shooting, and fault isolation procedures.
• Position necessitates a strong sense of the customer and ability to engage with customers directly and in a professional manner.
• Must be able to interact effectively with internal departments and customers to quickly resolve installation and fulfillment issues.
• Staff the inbound call queue to resolve issues encountered by Field Service and Carrier Technicians, quickly locate information and delegate installations.
• Ability to perform in on-call rotation
• Deep understanding and ability to proficiently apply logical troubleshooting procedures to network services, top down. This requires the ability to manage through logical fault isolation throughout the network, to include network equip. carrier circuitry, CPE, customer wiring, and customer hardware and software applications.
• Ability to work successfully in a fast-paced and demanding customer environment.
• Strong understanding of T1 and Ethernet cricuts, relative makeup, common applications, circuit composition, installation/repair process, and fault isolation procedures.
• Desire to technically mentor and/or train less tenured technicians
• Off hours and Weekend availability may be required as needed to service clients.
• Diffuse difficult customers by reassuring customer we will work to resolve their issue in timely fashion.
• Proactively resolve obstacles that interfere with job performance and/or job satisfaction
• Escalation to management of service interruption patterns, to assist in the identification of potential network service effecting issues.
Required Skills/Competencies/Personal Attributes:
• Data Core networking experience
• Knowledge in routing Protocal (BGP, ERGIP, OSPF, ect)
• General routing and switching experience.
• Cisco GSR experience
• Cisco and Adtran IAD experience
• Firewall experience (Fortinet a plus)
• Desire to technically mentor and/or train less tenured technicians.
• Possess strong sense of self-motivation, and be comfortable with management and customer escalations.
• Maintain strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Proven ability to work in a fast paced, time critical environment.
• Must have a positive working attitude, strong technical aptitude, and have the ability to lead by example.
• Knowledge of MUXs, DACs, PSAXs
• Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods of time, and perform other basic physical demands of the position as needed and have a strong ability to multi-task.
Education and Experience:
- Associate’s Degree in related field, or equivalent related experience.
- CCENT, or equivalent Cisco/ or comparable routerexperiencepreferred
- Technical certifications and/or on the job technical training certificates preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a LEC, Equipment Manufacturer or ISP environment.