Adolfson & Peterson Construction, one of the nation’s top contractors, is recruiting for an experienced Special Projects Manager for our Midwest region. We combine more than 75 years of construction expertise with the newest technologies in order to meet our clients' needs. We serve owners, architects, and developers with a commitment to teamwork and quality and are constantly looking for people to help us achieve our company goals.
This position leads a business unit that focuses on obtaining and constructing projects in the $50,000 to $10 million range targeting traditional as well as nontraditional markets. This role provides strategic leadership to project teams and clients including responsibility for pre-construction pursuits, planning, project staffing, talent recognition, financial results and dispute resolution. This role works in partnership with Project Managers and Superintendents.
Because safety is paramount to AP and embedded into everything we do, all team members are responsible for working safely within our Incident and Injury Free culture.
Key Accountabilities of the role include:
- Take personal responsibility for working safely within an Incident and Injury Free (IIF) culture.
- Be a champion to support IIF efforts for working safely and building a culture of care and concern
- within the organization that reinforces the behavioral aspects of working and living safely.
- Maintain a relationship with safety to hold responsibility for personal safety, the safety of each person in the company, and the IIF performance of the entire workforce.
- As a leader, consistently communicate and reinforce the tenets of an IIF workplace. Be willing to discuss a personal commitment and desire for all employees to work safely and attain an IIF workplace.
- As a leader, ensure that processes and procedures that support an IIF culture are maintained and reviewed for continuous improvement.
- Directly responsible for oversight and support of the Special Projects department to ensure projects are acquired and completed in a manner that meets schedule and quality standards.
- Set vision and direction of the Special Projects team including financial goals, budget, and achieving financial results.
- Empower department members to engage in continuous improvement of processes, tools, and training.
- Lead the Special Projects team to ensure appropriate department and individual workload as well as achievement of performance standards.
- Coordinate projects to ensure appropriate subcontractors’ and client performance and communication.
- Analyze and report financial performance of individual projects as well as the department’s overall performance.
- Research and assess market trends and identify new market ventures for profitability and feasibility; gain approval for pursuit.
- Assess need and gain approval for major asset acquisition.
- Collaborate with Project Managers and Superintendents to share resources.
- Ensure client satisfaction (owners, designers, and subcontractors).
- Establish and maintain professional working relationships with owners, architects, engineers, and subcontractors; network within the market to learn client business models and establish credibility.
- Build and facilitate a team environment that fosters self-development, innovation, collaboration, and high performance standards across all team members.
- Inspire and empower team members to engage in stretch opportunities to gain knowledge and develop new skillsets.
- Identify and develop talent to sustain and strengthen the business.
- Build morale and engagement through leadership actions.
- Design Special Projects team structure and manage individual and team performance to achieve department results.
- Other duties as assigned.
- History of progressively more responsible leadership experience and proven results including:
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, architecture, engineering, or related field plus 8+years of construction management experience or a combination of education and directly related experience in construction management.
- Strong proficiency with construction management processes, scheduling, spreadsheets, cost control, and project management software including Prolog, Microsoft Project, P6, and other construction programs.
- Solid understanding of value engineering, life cycle costing, and project profit/cost processes.
- Ability to read and comprehend building plans and specifications. Estimating experience including take-offs preferred.
- Recognition and achievement of high quality construction standards.
- Current or ability to become current with OSHA 30 and company safety requirements.
- Highly connected within the construction industry including with design and sub-contracting professionals.
- Capability to identify and capitalize on opportunities quickly; ability to maintain effective balance between strategic and tactical priorities.
- Ability to identify talent, create and develop teams, and build trust and engagement.
- Experience in driving accountability for financial and operational effectiveness, integrating and aligning efforts within teams, monitoring results, and tackling problems directly.
- Ability to travel to project sites 70+ miles away.
- Strong leadership strategic thinking skills.
- Demonstrated integrity and ethical standards.
- Developed skills (written, oral, and listening) to effectively communicate with diverse audiences.
- Ability to efficiently lead multiple teams, projects, and priorities simultaneously under time constraints.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build successful and lasting relationships.