The Special Needs Senior Medical Director will be responsible for providing clinical strategy, leadership and execution in support of UnitedHealth Group’s Special Needs Initiative. The candidate will focus on children and youth with special health care needs and their families as well as other micro populations in need of differentiated or customized support across the life span. This position will report directly to the General Manager of the Special Needs Initiative at UnitedHealthcare. The Special Needs Senior Medical Director will collaborate with other UHG clinicians and resources supporting the Special Needs Initiative and will also build relationships / partnerships with experts in the external marketplace. More specifically, the position will focus on a variety of efforts including guiding and supporting UHG’s strategic priorities related to Genomic Medicine both as part of the Special Needs Initiative and beyond, furthering industry education in the special needs space, guiding clinical strategy for the Special Needs Initiative (with a focus on helping people in the diagnostic odyssey and with ongoing treatment support, supporting member case reviews as needed, and other efforts as required. The position will collaborate with stakeholders across UHG and the industry to develop solutions that will help families better navigate the system, make better decisions, and improve their quality of life.
• Guide UHG’s efforts in genomics working across Optum and UHC. This includes development related work focused on consumer and provider experience, industry relationships, process improvements, data collection, research strategy, plan design, and technology
• Work with the development team to drive clinical strategy supporting the care delivery agenda (helping families in the diagnostic odyssey and with ongoing treatment support)
• Work with the broader special needs team on evaluating and evolving the diagnostic odyssey solution , including identifying potential partnerships with care delivery systems and clinicians across the country
• Work with the team to advance condition-specific roadmaps, laying out expectations and milestones for families, providers, and other members of the care team
• Work with the development team to advance the micro-population agenda; identify other populations in need and capabilities required to serve them better
• Actively participate in team meetings focused on communication, feedback, problem solving, process improvement, staff training and evaluation, and the sharing of program results
• Maintains a strong working knowledge of government mandates and provisions, clinical advancements, and best practices in the special needs space
• Committed to being effectively engaged with our external constituents such as consumers/members, physicians, medical and specialty societies, hospitals and hospital associations, federal/state regulators, and market-based collaboratives
• Represent the Special Needs Initiative and UHC in the external marketplace, advancing industry expertise through involvement in conferences and meetings with market stakeholders
• Identifying additional opportunities to create clinical value across the organization and participating in enterprise-related strategic efforts as needed
• Drive disciplined fact-based decisions
• Execute with discipline and urgency: Drive exceptional performance; deliver value to the customer; closely monitor execution; drive operational excellence
• Drive change and innovation though continually seeking and implementing innovative solutions; create a culture that thrives on continuous change; inspire people to stretch beyond their comfort zone; take well-reasoned risk; challenge "the way it has always been done"; change direction as required
• Proven ability to execute and drive improvements against stated goals
• Ability to develop relationships with network and community physicians and other clinicians
• Visibility and involvement in medical community
• Ability to successfully function in a matrix organization
• Performance Driven – Sets and takes accountability for achievement of development objectives.
• Experience achieving alignment across multiple stakeholders, problem solver, solutions oriented.
• Solid organization, management, administrative and human relation skills, and a style, which exhibits maturity, leadership, sensitivity and teamwork.
• Communicates and leads in a manner that fosters collaboration, greater understanding, employee engagement and commitment to results
• Ability to present/communicate with senior leaders and market stakeholders
• Model and demand integrity and compliance
• Active, unrestricted physician license
• Current board certification in Clinical Genetics - American Board of Medical Genetics and Genomics
• 5+ years of clinical practice experience
• Solid PC skills, specifically using MS Word, Outlook, and Excel. Experience in other MS programs a plus.
• Excellent telephonic and interpersonal communication skills
• Team player and strong teambuilding skills
• Strong belief in EBM (Evidence Based Medicine), and familiarity with current medical issues and practices
• Knowledge of the managed care industry
• Creative problem solving skills
• Data analysis and interpretation experience and skills. Project management background a plus
• Excellent presentation skills for both clinical and non-clinical audiences
• Experience establishing new partnerships
Transforming health care and millions of lives starts with the values you embrace and the passion you bring. Find out more and join us. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.SM
Careers with UnitedHealthcare. Let's talk about opportunity. Start with a Fortune 6 organization that's serving more than 85 million people already and building the industry's singular reputation for bold ideas and impeccable execution. Now, add your energy, your passion for excellence, your near-obsession with driving change for the better. Get the picture? UnitedHealthcare is serving employers and individuals, states and communities, military families and veterans where ever they're found across the globe. We bring them the resources of an industry leader and a commitment to improve their lives that's second to none. This is no small opportunity. It's where you can do your life's best work.SM