WHO WE ARE
As a member of the Berkshire Hathaway group of insurance companies, we offer outstanding opportunities for professionals interested in working with a successful company. We offer unparalleled financial strength, stability and “large company” benefits, in addition to an exciting, friendly, “small company” atmosphere.
Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies is currently looking for a Special Investigations Attorney in our San Diego location. This is an exciting opportunity to join our growing SIU team. The position does NOT require billable hours. Our ideal candidate will have significant experience in lien litigation and some civil experience. The Special Investigations Attorney provides civil litigation and workers compensation lien expertise in all aspects of research, writing, depositions, written discovery, pleadings, briefs, hearings, examinations under oath, and trial support in connection with administrative and civil proceedings supported by the Special Investigations Unit. LEADERSHIP RESPONSIBILITIESMay direct and lead the work of others, requiring the ability to influence others and provide direction. Relies primarily on experience and independent judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of tasks with proficiency under limited supervision. A certaindegree of creativity and latitude isrequired.
- Manage and conduct litigation in the evolving area of convicted-suspended providers as permitted under CA Labor Code Section 139.21.
- Provide legal research, writing and analysis in various aspects of workers compensation lien matters and civil litigation, including, but not limited to, researching case law, statutes, regulations, trends, drafting briefs, correspondence, memoranda and pleadings.
- Prepare for, appear and represent the Company at applicable Workers Compensation Appeal Boards, Superior Court, and other applicable administrative and civil proceedings. Prepare appropriate follow up reporting and pleadings for SIU Director’s review.
- Attend meetings, interviews, hearings and other proceedings as needed in support of ongoing administrative matters, civil litigation, and initiatives of the Special Investigations Unit.
- Other duties as assigned.
- EDUCATION: J.D. law degree from an accredited law school and member of the California State Bar in good standing
- EXPERIENCE: Minimum of five (5) years combined experience in workers compensation and civil litigation.
- LANGUAGE ABILITY: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations; Ability to negotiate, write and interpret business correspondence, reports and procedure manuals; Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- MATH ABILITY: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume; Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra.
- REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists; Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. TECHNICAL SKILLS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must have knowledge of office operations, workflow analysis, and current technologies in telecommunications, data entry and file management.
- COMPUTER SKILLS: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft word processing software; Microsoft spreadsheet software; and, be proficient on applicable databases, systems and vendor software programs.
- CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES: Valid driver’s license and member of the California State Bar in good standing.
COMPREHENSIVE BENEFITS PACKAGE:
- Health and wellness – low premiums for medical, dental and vision coverage, FSA and EAP benefits
- Company paid Life, Disability and ADD benefits
- Employee Retirement Savings Plan with employer match up to 5 percent of compensation
- Generous Paid Time Off and Holidays
- Education Assistance Reimbursement
- Recognition and Rewards Programs
- Company Store
- Discounts across Berkshire Hathaway Inc. companies such as GEICO, See’s Candies, etc.