The Aviation Systems Mission Networks Sector primarily supports the FAA and other government or commercial sources by providing air traffic management systems, products and services that improve operations safety and efficiency. The business designs, implements, and operates large, complex networks supporting air traffic management and mission critical communications; develops voice communications systems; and develops air traffic movement and information systems.
The Surveillance and Automation Solutions Business within L3Harris is seeking a systems engineer to support multiple initiatives related to aircraft surveillance using technologies such as ADS-B technology, radar and MLAT. This will include enhancements to the existing ground-based system, incorporating space-based sensors into the surveillance infrastructure, and definition and integration of new air surveillance technologies and applications.
The Surveillance and Automation Solutions (S&AS) business area is seeking a systems engineer with RF propagation and modelling experience to support designing surveillance system in real-world environments. The successful candidate will also perform systems engineering activities in support of new and ongoing S&AS projects.
- Review and analyze customer functional and performance requirements.
- Develop CONOPS based on these requirements.
- Develop functional and physical system architectures based upon high-level requirements using MBSE.
- Decompose system-level requirements and develop subsystem specifications.
- Maintain requirements throughout the product life cycle.
- Develop and maintain interface control documents at the system and subsystem level.
- Conduct performance analyses of systems and subsystems.
- Conduct formal trade studies to define the optimal design approach.
- Support the integration, testing, and fielding of these systems.
- Perform duties of an Engineering Project Manager which may include: project planning, schedule development, project tracking (cost & schedule), risk management, and reporting to management.
- Must have strong oral and written communication skills to present information to team members, management and customers.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications, MS Project, Visio, requirements management tools, UML, and modeling tools.
- Prepare and present technical briefings for internal and external stakeholders.
- Must be a US Citizen - will be required to provide proof of citizenship.
- Must be able to obtain a Position of Public Trust clearance.
- Bachelors or Master's Degree in Engineering with six (6) or more years' experience in systems engineering activities.
- 3+ years of demonstrated experience developing system and subsystem requirements for real-time hardware and software based systems.
- 3+ years of experience developing and implementing one or more of the following: RF communications systems, data communications systems, network design, or air traffic control systems .
- 3+ years of hands-on experience with system development and engineering processes defined in IEEE-15288.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Three (3) or more years' experience with the FAA's ADS-B system in an engineering role.
- Direct experience with FAA surveillance systems.
- Working knowledge of air traffic control systems and their operation.
- Programming experience, including MATLAB, Python, C, C++
- Objective thinker, problem solver with ability to execute challenging tasks to completion.
- Experience developing system safety analysis reports.
- Experience conducting reliability analysis of systems including both hardware and software reliability.
- Understanding of FAA system engineering directives.
- Familiarity with system development under the direction of RTCA DO-278.
- Demonstrated capability leading engineering projects achieving defined goals and objectives within cost and schedule constraints