Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Spacecraft Communication Subsystem Principal Engineer
This leadership position is for a highly-experienced engineer who can lead the Communication (Comm) subsystem team to define requirements, develop the architecture, implement the design, and verify the subsystem for a spacecraft.
What You’ll Do:
- Comm technical lead - This position is 70% technical and 30% management.
- Work daily with the larger Comm team on technical definition, implementation, and verification.
- Establish strong working relationships with system engineering team, integration and test team, and peers for the other spacecraft subsystems.
- Prepare and manage subsystem architecture and interfaces. A strong hardware backgrounds is required.
- Generate verification and validation plans, and work with Integration and Test team toensure the subsystem meets requirements.
- Present architecture, implementation, and verification to customer.
- Collaborate with the spacecraft system engineers on technology insertion into new bus architectures.
- Extensive technical writing (Proposal development, Contractual elements, procedural definitions, specifications, interfaces, analysis support and description documents).
- Prepare and give presentations to peers, management and customers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required, plus 12 or more yearsof related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degreemust be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Current Top Secret/SCI security clearance required.
- Minimum of 6 years of direct experience in RF or Comm subsystem design or test.
- A solid understanding of all aspects of requirements definition, decomposition, and flow-down, architectural trade studies, architectural and interface definition, hardware specifications, interface control, analyses, and verification.
- Knowledge of electronics designed for EMI/EMC/ESD compliance.
- Proven expertise in subcontract management.
- Extensive experience with defining, developing and delivering space qualified hardware – antennas, modulators, demodulators, transponders, waveguide, or coax cabling.
- Intellectual curiosity combined with a strong desire to learn.
- Strong oral, written, and presentation skills.
- Effective in multidisciplinary large team work environment with broad responsibilities and minimal oversight.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.