Planet efficiently and safely operates several medium and high resolution spacecraft constellations. Managing these valuable assets is a highly technical feat and the teams that do so consist of skilled engineers from a variety of backgrounds, having collectively worked on more than 30 space missions. Together, these teams support spacecraft commissioning and anomaly resolution, maintain uptime, conduct on orbit special activities, and perform development towards future automation. This role is specifically focused on the safe operation of the SkySat and Dove constellations. Operators are frequently the first to detect and triage anomalous behavior, therefore an understanding of how each spacecraft subsystem relates to one another is important. You can anticipate working in a close collaborative environment, frequently communicating with hardware and software experts to understand anomalies and develop procedures. You will be a go to person for carrying out on-orbit tasking such as propulsive maneuvers, flight software updates, and telemetry analysis. Expect to be in the middle of it all, as the work of the Missions team is essential to Planet's success. You will be responsible for the safe and stable operations of our fleet as we integrate all operations teams together.
- Develop a thorough understanding of a spacecraft bus, and how it is operated.
- Build and edit python scripts to carry out activities on a spacecraft.
- Monitor all spacecraft for proper operation, responding to all off-nominal contingencies (telemetry limit violations, configuration and status changes, subsystem and operational anomalies, etc).
- Participate in on-call rotation in support of spacecraft uptime.
- Develop automated responses and processes for any manual operations.
- Bachelor's Degree in an Engineering, Software, or Science related field from an accredited college or technical school.
- Experience with Python scripting, PSQL (or SQL equivalent), Bash CLI, and Git VCS.
- Experience with data analysis and trending.
- Experience in process automation, from design to software development.
- Excellent attention to detail, procedural discipline, and workflow management.
- Ability to work independently and creatively
- Exceptional communication (verbal and written) and collaboration skills and ability to clearly report and log complex events.
- Previous satellite operations, space mission experience or space systems integration & test experience. Additional experience with hardware testbeds a plus!
- Experience with Nginx, Apache, or equivalent webserver.
- Experience with Python Test frameworks (unittest, pytest, nose, etc).
- Experience with Python Web frameworks (Django, Flask, Hug).
- Experience with Python Webservers (Gunicorn, Tornado, Falcon, uWSGI).