Space Planning Director
Job Description Summary
With account and/or client leadership, ensures that all Space Management deliverables are met including SLA and KPI requirements. Assists in defining immediate and long-term client goals concerning amounts and types of office space that are required over time and a strategy for achieving these objectives in a cost-effective manner.
Oversee and provide strategic Space & Occupancy Planning expertise to manage the supply, capacity and demand of assigned Client's portfolio of space. Provide occupancy planning, auditing and data compilation services for strategic planning efforts.
Oversee project support needed to complete move and reconfiguration projects; Ensure each project's needs are met in a cost-effective manner consistent with Client standards for project scope, design budget and schedule. Responsible to oversee the maintenance of accurate space plans and occupancy data and provide reports as required. Manage, lead and motivate Space & Occupancy team members in support of these objectives.
Essential functions and responsibilities
- Direct the overall development of space management activities and the associated activities of all current projects within an assigned geographic region or specific account. Work closely with the National Director or Account Director regarding proper staffing, future projects, and maintaining proper client relationships.
- Assumes responsibility for planning, developing, establishing and controlling methods, procedures, and systems designed to increase overall effectiveness of facility and space utilization and space management.
- Responsible for overseeing all aspects of the integrated space management program to ensure that the space is utilized efficiently and effectively, and to ensure that the allocation of space meets the highest and best use in the context of strategic priorities. This position provides overall space management expertise to client real estate services and oversees collaborative efforts to execute periodic space audits and utilization studies.
- Prepare service line reports illustrating conclusions and recommendations and conduct meetings with owners and team members to resolve issues during the design development stages. Participate in structuring the selection of the interior architects and other professionals and advise client on final recommendations. Evaluate existing and proposed project sites and facilities with respect to program requirements. Ensure the resolution of programming issues through project completion.
- Develop data analytics and analysis tools used by the team to generate space solutions and compare options to achieve a comprehensive view of the option outcomes.
- Make recommendations to enhance operational efficiency, service delivery, cost savings, and innovative service advancements for all functional areas within the service line. Communicate and promote these services to potential clients and to other Cushman & Wakefield professionals.
- Schedule internal, external and client resources on a portfolio level.
- Lead tactical planning and move teams; oversees space, occupancy, moves and data management services.
- Assist the team in performing site assessments to review space efficiencies, utilization metrics and supply and demand studies.
- Observe corporate policies and procedures.
- Maintain high qualitative and quantitative standards of work performance.
- Strive constantly to improve skill and work knowledge; keep up to date in the field of specialization.
- Cooperate with other personnel to achieve corporate goals and objectives as to quality, service, cost and profit.
- Report to immediate supervisor(s) major problems and findings and results achieved with recommendations.
- Socialize and obtain buy in for organizational changes, team commitments, and expenditures in excess of approved budget.
- Establish goals and objectives with timetables for the organizational unit and sub-units supervised.
- Select subordinates with approval of appropriate supervisors; delegate to each necessary authority and responsibility for performance of assigned functions.
- Participate in creation and maintenance of playbooks, workflows, instructional documents, program templates and tools.
- Provide on-going training to team related to space and occupancy planning, move management, data management and FF&E services.
- Develop, motivate and discipline subordinates, as necessary, to meet established goals; review and appraise their work performance.
- Implement government laws and regulations and adhere to established rulings of government authorities.
Communication Proficiency (oral and written)
- B.S. Degree in Interior Design, Architecture or related field required, Master's degree preferred.
- Minimum of 13 years related experience in a design/architecture/project management accountability role or (15) fifteen years equivalent combination of experience in an advisory and/or engineering supervisory capacity.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Possess strong analytical skills and the ability to develop conclusions and recommendations.
- Possess working knowledge of CAFM software, space management systems, and relational database functionality.
- Proficiency in architectural and engineering drawings, concepts & design.
- Experienced in managing projects of varied scope and complexity.
- Possess working knowledge of various office furniture systems.
- Strong proficiency in MS Office Suite software applications.
- Relational database knowledge a plus.
- Possess a general understanding for facilities programming of industry standards, building systems, base building construction, corporate management, urban planning, architecture, interior design, office technology, and environmental factors required.
- Proven leadership ability.
- Superior oral and written communication skills required.