The Manager of Strategic Sourcing leads Product Portfolio Development and supports Marketing in Product / Supplier selection. The manager drives company objectives and leads the maximizing of profitability through Cost of Goods Reduction projects. Manages the Supplier relation (Contracts, T&Cs, cost price negotiations, year-end costing, and monitoring results) of complex accounts of high dollar volume.
MAJOR JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (List in order of importance)
- Manage complex supplier portfolio of $50M-$250M of COGS.
- Negotiate supply contracts with selected suppliers to obtain best commercial and business conditions.
- Support company objectives and assist in maximizing gross margin through joint cooperation with production and marketing to negotiate and implement supply contracts with optimal conditions.
- Source lab supplies, lab equipment and instrumentation, chemicals, and life science products distribution and support our Avantor branded production facilities.
- Prepare bid packages and tender, analyze results, shortlist suppliers, conduct post tender negotiations and finalize contract.
- Work with Avantor Global Sourcing to consolidate and leverage global purchase requirements.
- Liaise with legal counsel to ensure contracts comply to legal standards and requirements.
- Conduct the annual price collection and negotiation program for contracts.
- Monitor performance.
- Analyze Spend Data and identify potential cost saving programs, develop these programs and drive them through execution.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS (Education/Training, Experience and Certifications)
- Degree in business, supply chain, or other applicable field; advanced degree preferable
- 8+ years of applicable business experience
- 3+ years leadership experience
- Working experience in lab supplies industry, chemical research, chemical technology or pharmaceutical production, or in any kind of scientific field
- Industry purchasing experience in consumables, lab equipment, or chemicals such as raw materials and industrial packaging.
- Experience in tender business of commodities or raw materials/chemicals.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES (Those necessary to perform the job competently)
- Strong Negotiation skills – Ability to negotiate assertively and effectively at all levels
- Understanding of the key aspects of Avantor business, economic factors & environment and the laboratory and production market in all market segments
- Strong project leader capabilities – ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Strong presentation skills and able to sell Avantor capabilities and expertise to suppliers
- Ability to organize, conduct projects and to analyze and solve issues at human, cultural and professional levels
- Basic knowledge about laboratory and/or chemical regulations.
- Fluent in English, any other European language is an advantage
- Pro-active and able to work individually, as well as, be a good team player
- Market intelligence of manufacturers of lab supplies, lab equipment or instruments or chemicals/reagents and chemical dealers
- An appreciation and knowledge of contract law and international trading