The Solutions Engineering Consultant is a service owner; ultimately responsible for all aspects of service delivery within a technology tower. The role provides strategic direction, build and maintain service road-maps. Understands and helps recommend or approve cross-industry best practices. Aligns technology strategy with business strategy and outcomes. May work with vendor, business, and architecture groups. Unlike the lead engineer, the consultant has subject matter expertise in a number of adjacent stacks and can provide guidance to the vendor on those as well. The consultant is also responsible for all stacks that comprise a particular technology tower or service.
- Key focal point for vendor governance for one or more tower.
- Has deep understanding on the critical leading indicators that result in SLA or KPI adherence. Identifies and recommends needed changes in service levels. Approves SLA/RU accuracy.
- Provide thought leadership in helping develop technology and business strategy.
- Design technology road-maps for presentation to senior IT leaders or business partners; May also be the presenter.
- Provide leadership and governance to problem-solving activities conducted by vendors, especially where the resolution may involve multiple vendors or internal Voya groups.
- Provide input and design assistance during the implementation of technical designs and plans by the Supplier(s).
- Understand and help lead the vendor through the complex inter-workings between technology stacks
- Works on multiple highly complex and interdependent projects simultaneously. May lead (but not provide project management for) the most complex technical projects.
- May provide technical leadership or direction to the lead solutions engineer or the solutions engineer.
- Research of potential system solutions, including evaluating product and vendor products and services.
- Help vendor identify the root cause of, and recommends corrective actions in response to, system outages or performance issues. Identifies and may lead opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Collaborates with Supplier(s) and provides direction on change implementation plans.
- Works collaboratively with all IT functions.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering and/or 9 or more years of professional IT work experience. May have an advanced degree.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience in the technology tower assigned, with demonstrable work experience in related stacks.
- Multiple industry certifications preferred.
- Deep subject matter expertise in several technology stacks.
- Demonstrated experience working with a vendor in a managed services environment.
- Architecture Compliance setting
- Technical domain – industry & Voya
- SDLC; Project Management & IT Portfolio Management
- Change Management, Release Management, Incident Management, & Problem Management
- Disaster Recovery & Contingency Plan Review
- Supplier Management (per Tower domain)
- Supplier technical architecture requirements and technical architecture designs and plans
- Researching skills
- Collaboration – internal, external teams & business partners
- Business Acumen among LOBs (past, current, future goals, strategies and plans)
- Business relationship management
- Communication & Problem solving skills
- Performance management
- Demand and capacity management
At Voya, we have identified the following critical skills which are key to success in our culture:
- Customer Focused: Passionate drive to delight our customers and offer unique solutions that deliver on their expectations.
- Critical Thinking: Thoughtful process of analyzing data and problem solving data to reach a well-reasoned solution.
- Team Mentality: Partnering effectively to drive our culture and execute on our common goals.
- Business Acumen: Appreciation and understanding of the financial services industry in order to make sound business decisions.
- Learning Agility: Openness to new ways of thinking and acquiring new skills to retain a competitive advantage.