Markel is seeking a talented and passionate Solutions Architect to join our team. We want someone who can architect solutions across multiple related applications, gain feedback, and clearly articulate a vision.
What you’ll do…
- Stay 3-9 sprints ahead of delivery teams and work on solution designs
- Maintain a 6-24 month roadmap for several cutting edge applications processing millions of dollars of insurance products a day
- Drive the adoption and use of the latest tools, technologies, and methodologies for product development
- Look outside for opportunities to disrupt from within and continually expand what is possible through technology at Markel
- Lead the development of standards and best practices
- Provide clear, creative solutions and diagrams using either Visio or PowerPoint
- You think digital first and believe all customer experiences should be simple and effective
- A creative problem solver that can develop a plan, take ownership of tasks, and are outcome focused
- A team player, technical mentor, keen to coach others and share ideas with your team
- An exceptional communicator able to articulate technical issues in plain language
- You are able to build relationships and are a trusted advisor to IT and the business
- You consider yourself a generalist and can pick the right tool for the job
As a Solutions Architect you have the following experience and skills…
- Experience assembling solutions using custom development, off the shelf systems, and 3rd party integrations
- 5+ years using frameworks such as Grails, .NET, Node.js, or Flask
- 5+ years of experience with relational databases and SQL – MS SQL Server preferred
- 3+ years Agile project delivery methods
- Experience creating modern web applications and designing Web APIs with REST/JSON
- Experience setting up cloud-based innovation / sandbox environments for experimentation
- Familiarity with design thinking and customer centric design
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, other related field or military experience
Other desirable/ advantageous skills and experience…
- Experience gained in either an insurance or insurance related business or a fast paced retail environment.
- Experience working with startup companies
- Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems
Must be authorized to work in the U.S., and not require sponsorship now or in the future
“Why work for us?”
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people’s differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the Markel Style—some of our best ideas start from a conversation between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further success to Markel.