Fujitsu Technology and Business of America, Inc. (FTBA), headquartered in Sunnyvale, California, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fujitsu Limited in Tokyo, Japan. FTBA provides administrative and financial support to 17 Fujitsu Group Companies in North America. These administrative services include services in Treasury, Tax, Facilities, Risk Management, Employee Benefit programs and other administrative functions.
FTBA also supports Fujitsu Limited in R & D Services, Marketing Support, Procurement Operations and Patent Management; and provides IT support to National Astronomical Observatory of Japan with the operation of Subaru telescope in Hilo, Hawaii.
The Datacenter Lab Engineer will play a key role in helping launch the customer briefing center datacenter in the company’s newly created “Solution Lab” facility. The Datacenter Lab Engineer will be responsible for planning and implementation of key server, storage, and converged solutions in the datacenter.
The role is a hands-on role and will require physical installation and integration of datacenter and interfacing with other facility technicians on various site planning topics (ranging from datacenter cooling, network connectivity, server load balancing, etc).
The role will require a bit of natural troubleshooting and intellectual curiosity on how best to layout the datacenter given the business charter for the Solution Lab. Attention to detail and thinking out of the box will be key requirements as well.
The candidate will be expected to work fairly independently on the IT project as well as interfacing with key constituents in the Solution Lab team as well as Engineering and other cross-functional departments.
The candidate should have strong exposure to different IT technologies (server, storage, networking) as well as different IT vendor products (both Hardware and Software). Min. 6 month engagement with opportunity to extend as the Solution Lab gets fully operational.
- Design layout of server and storage racks, including required cabling and other connectivity requirements.
- Server installation & maintenance (rack & stack, HDD, memory, CPU, RAID batteries, NICs, etc.)
- Storage array installation & maintenance (controller, expansion disk and SSD/NVMe drives)
- Network installation & maintenance (rack & stack, cabling, parts replacement, etc.)
- Site builds & refreshes, while meeting current quality standards
- Create required planning documentation on the site requirements and communicate effectively with other parties on the implementation project
- Interact with onsite staff and vendors for: hardware replacement, diagnostics, reconfiguration
- Lift equipment weighing 50 lbs.+
- Other miscellaneous site activities may include setup of WiFi for the briefing center, rollout of VDI clients, and connecting A/V for the training center, etc.
- Familiar with network cabling (types, distance limitations, testing, connectors, handling)
- Familiar with electrical & optical transceivers (SFP+, QSFP+, DAC, CFP2, DWDM)
- General working knowledge of virtualization technologies like VMware, and on security products (firewalls, IPS, endpoint security, ADCs, load balancing)
- Familiar with electrical standards, connector types, power budget calculations, AC vs. DC, single phase vs. three phase, etc.
- Familiar with datacenter design in relation to heat dissipation and air flow
- Passionate, meticulous, and obsessive about organized cabling
- Detail oriented and organized
- General knowledge on datacenter and IT industry best practices
- Operational experience as a Systems or Network Administrator
- Hands-on experience with x86 servers, storage arrays, hyperconverged systems. Knowledge of Fujitsu Enterprise products a plus
- Networking experience with CCNA and/or Network+ certifications is a plus. Knowledge of wireless networking as well.
- Previous experience working in a Data Center environment (racking & stacking gear, cable management, hot & cold aisle containment).
- Experience with setting up Proof of Concept datacenter environment a plus
- Min. 7 years IT datacenter experience
Education Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or other technical field
Solution Lab Engineer - FTBA - Sunnyvale, CA-FTB00153.