Solution Architect - Generalist Department
Technology Job Type
Austin, Texas, United States of America Global Support
Whole Foods Market is looking for passionate and experienced technologists who fully appreciate the meaning behind, "with great power comes great responsibility". Someone with a super-hero-esque breadth of expertise and skills who possesses the desire to use their technology know-how to empower a mission-driven company aimed to set the standards in food retail; a company who also embraces their purpose to co-create a world where each of us, our communities, and our planet can flourish.
Whole Foods Market is rapidly transforming their foundational technology footprint with initiatives like rolling out the latest in Point-of-Sale technology; co-developing a Customer Affinity program with Amazon; reinventing our approach to Category Management, Merchandising and Supply Chain driving a plethora of technology demand; moving data-warehousing and data delivery to cloud; and re-defining how web, mobile, and social live in this amazing new ecosystem.
In this role, you will work alongside some of the top technology providers in multiple technology areas including Retail, Digital, merchandising, Supply Chain and traditional back of house systems supporting Finance/Accounting and HCM. You will help craft scalable, flexible, and resilient architectures to support Whole Foods Market's continued growth and mission.
You will be asked to bring your knowledge of technology to complex problems and find elegant solutions that can be delivered effectively, which will delight the business partners and customers who use them.
You will be an active participant on our Architectural Review Board and help craft and mature our various IT point-of-views, guidance, and policies.
As a Solution Architect on the Enterprise Architecture Team, you will partner with other architects, Technology Team leaders, development teams, and business partners to maintain your solution domain's roadmaps, blueprints, and high-level conceptual designs.
You'll be designer, historian, futurist, and librarian of the solution components, capabilities, and information within your domain.
Here are some of the qualities we appreciate on our Enterprise Architecture team related to this role:
- Whole Enchilada – Ability to own the end-to-end solution, understand everything, be the strategic advocate and listener when talking to business partners or development teams
- Inspire Curiosity – Thrives on curiosity, has charisma, leads learning by example
- Omniscient Nice - Can know it all without being a know-it-all
- Many Hats - A business person, a technologist, a leader, a facilitator, an administrator
- Balance – Values working hard as much as giving back to others
- Quality Focus – Passionate in helping engineers and 3rd party software teams in building high-quality code and solutions at speed
- Fearless - Not afraid to suggest or back big ideas
- Tenacious - Able to push back and focus the information discovery process
- Tech Artist – Ability to create meaningful visualizations and architecture models
- Tech Savvy - A deep affinity and exceptional flair with consumer gadgets, apps and other technology services, along with the vision to see how they can improve agility and engagement
- Tech Fun – Enjoys communication via meme
- 6+ years of evangelizing technologies or working with technology development/delivery teams
- 2+ years of technology design, implementation, or consulting in one or more of the following areas:
- Retail Point of Sale & eCommerce
- Retail Merchandising & Category Management
- Food Service Operations
- Finance, Accounting and HCM systems
- Supply Chain
- 2+ years of working with enterprise architecture or solution architecture frameworks, methodologies, templates, and tools
Other Basic Qualifications:
- Strategic technology planning experience; experience in strategic technology planning and execution, as well as policy development and maintenance
- Analytical skills. Outstanding analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Presentation skills with a high degree of comfort with both large and small audiences
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. This includes the ability to explain technology concepts to business leaders, as well as business concepts to technologists, and the ability to sell ideas and processes internally at all levels
- High level of comfort communicating effectively across internal and external organizations
Preferred Qualities & Skills:
- Technical degree; with computer science, math, or engineering highly desired
- Experience with grocery or retail in either technology or business operations
- Experience with enterprise architecture or data modelling toolsets like Casewise, Troux, or CA/Erwin
- Experience with technical writing, design spec documentation, requirement traceability, risk/issue management or tracking
- Experience migrating or transforming legacy solutions to the cloud