Relevant Work Experience: IT-Distributed and Web Development-6+ yrs
We believe that, when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to create value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
As a company, we were established by Chuck over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for talented, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
Ranked as one of FORTUNE's "World's Most Admired Companies®" 2013, Charles Schwab is recognized as a finance technology innovator and a leader in the web finance space. Schwab's web products offer Schwab's exceptional customer service, brokerage, and bank products to both retail and institutional investors.
We're looking for a talented technologist to design solutions for and help migrate our legacy mainframe and distributed applications to modern, cloud ready PAAS, IAAS, and SAAS solutions. We need technology architects and engineer who are capable of building next generation technology while also considering the needs of our existing business. We’re building a path to the future we’d like you to help us get there.
What you’ll do:
As a Solutions Architect you are responsible for understanding our next generation application specification, a cloud enabled solution which leverages modern NoSQL dbs (mongo, redis), PaaS solutions (Pivotal Cloud Foundry), and public IaaS (Azure). You’ll also be responsible for designing solutions for legacy applications to migrate to our cloud enabled architecture. You’ll learn how legacy systems function and create plans which enable engineering teams to “change the wheels while the car is in motion”. You'll be a part of Schwab's Application Architecture team: A group of thought leaders responsible for technology strategy (Mobile, Web, Data, Cloud, etc.). Other duties include: Developing macro architectures (conceptual view) diagrams, Software Architecture Documents, participating in architecture forums, publishing technology strategies and presenting to technology leaders and business executives, providing thought leadership around technical solutions, and collaborating with other technologists on creating cross-domain solutions.
Solutions Architects work as team members alongside the product leads, technical leads and other supporting team members to deliver a complete solution. This is an opportunity to be a part of a cutting edge team respected for the products they produce and client satisfaction those products support.
If you consider yourself someone whom developers, leads, and architects want to work with and you have the uncanny ability to drive a compelling long-term vision this is an opportunity to create modern cloud enabled applications. This role entails hands-on experience in cloud architectures (SaaS, PaaS and IaaS) and requires deep interest and experience in software platforms.
What you have:
- Ability to drive strategy through influence with leadership qualities which engineers recognize and respect.
- Good judgment and the ability to handle stressful situations.
- Ability to innovate and lead explorations into new technologies and strategies.
- Experience with DevOps tools and workflows such as Jira, Bamboo or equivalents
- Experience and successful modernization at large corporations (re-platforming, re-hosting and service enablement)
- Experience with performance engineering and educating teams on non-functional requirements to achieve web scale
- Ability to design patterns for moving from legacy environments to cloud and influence strategic direction
- Experience in developing middle ware applications using a variety of modern technologies: Mongo, Redis, SQL Server, Pivotal Cloud Foundry, Rabbit MQ, Angular, Spring.
- Ability to evaluate new technologies, stay current with a broad range of industry trends.
- Knowledge of the distributed technology space: languages, frameworks, techniques, industry trends.
- Ability to architect the future state and the path to get there, accounting for near-term product deliverables
- Knowledge of HTTP, AMQP, MQTT and other modern protocols.
- Knowledge of API (REST, SOAP).
- Knowledge of .Net and Java.
- Understanding of NoSQL Databases, Middleware, Security, Performance tuning of applications.
- Ability (and preference) to work in an Agile environment.
- Ability to influence and effect changes that have broad and long term impact on the firm.
- Ability to develop community of practices to facilitate discussions with technical team on platform-wide considerations, driving improvement and efficiencies, and providing leadership.
- A software engineering background.
- Ability to work with engineers and executives.
- Strong presentation and communication skills.
What you’ll get:
- Comprehensive Compensation and Benefits package
- Financial Health: 401k Match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Discounts, Personalized advice, Brokerage discounts
- Work/Life Balance: Sabbatical, Paid Parental Leave, New Mothers returning to work Program, Tuition Reimbursement Programs, Time off to volunteer, Employee Matching Gifts Program
- Everyday Wellness: Health and Lifestyle Wellness Rewards, Onsite Fitness Classes, Healthy Food Choices, Wellness Champions
- Inclusion: Employee Resource Groups, Commitment to diversity, Strategic partnerships
- Not just a job, but a career, with an opportunity to do the best work of your life