At HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That's why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
Watch our 'About Us' video
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
HDR is looking for a Solar Program Manager to be part of our nationally ranked Power group who is well networked and connected in the Renewable Energy market.
Who you are
You are passionate about the renewables marketplace and driving the industry to a lower carbon emissions future. This passion drives you to be consistently aware of national and regional market and policy trends. You enjoy and seek out meaningful client, vendor and colleague relationships and are driven to expand the depth and breadth of how you can partner with them to solve challenges. You enjoy developing and following projects and initiatives from concept through implementation. You are a great listener and have the ability to translate challenges presented into potential solutions.
The primary duties of the Solar Program Manager will involve driving HDR's technical services to support new and existing clients in the planning, design, permitting and optimization of their renewable energy systems and portfolios. Responsibilities for this position will include client management, plan implementation, and serving as a technical consultant and/or client/project manager for strategic projects primarily in the solar markets.
The candidate will also work with Power Market sector leadership on implementation of HDR's renewable energy national market approach and overall strategy. They will be expected to establish and maintain strong client relationships and an in-depth understanding of clients' business objectives as part of growing HDR's dynamic Power practice.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Delivery of a variety of HDR services in the renewable energy market including but not limited to consulting, detailed design, owners engineering, permitting, siting, and planning.
- Serve as Project Manager, Technical Lead and/or Client Manager for key contracts and be responsible for the coordination, quality, and timely completion of projects .
- Building client partnerships and involvement with marketing, contractual, and development meetings for key clients. Senior Renewables Program Manager should be able to recognize other HDR services and activities outside of core development services that would benefit clients.
- Participation in internal renewables business development meetings to identify target markets and clients. Implement HDR's renewable market strategy within the host region and with key clients nationally.
- Support of client energy sourcing/procurement processes including request for proposal (RFP) document development, development of bid evaluation criteria and processes, bid review, analysis, evaluation, and contract negotiations.
- Coordinate the involvement and input of multi-discipline teams involving those with expertise in power delivery, thermal generation, engineering, project controls, environmental permitting, site assessments, project economics, and risk assessment.
- Participation in reviews with applicable project stakeholders including client legal and commercial teams, third party developers, connecting utilities, regulatory agencies, and supporting public engagement.
- Coordination of team workload with the required business classes throughout project activities, and ensure completion of activities on schedule.
- Tracking of financial aspects of projects, and coordination and adjustment of the work effort with team to ensure that work is completed within parameters of agreed-to schedule.
- Perform other duties as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering from an ABET accredited university.
- PE is required.
- 15 years of experience including 8 years of experience in both a client facing and technical leader/Project Manager role within the solar space.
- Technical experience with consulting, planning, design, construction, and operation of solar required.
- Working understanding of power systems studies and modeling and should have experience with industry standard modeling and simulation software packages.
- Understanding of various energy technology systems operation and the basics of power production in order to assess the ability of solar and other renewable generation facilities to fulfill policy requirements, grid system needs and how each technology creates value for project stakeholders; particularly the purchaser of renewable energy sources.
- Must have project management skills with a strong ability to maintain a high standard of quality in the project deliverable.
- Proficiency in MS Office is required.
- Travel will consist of 25% - 50% of time and ability to travel both domestic and internationally are a must.
- Must have excellent communication, presentation and writing skills.
- An attitude and commitment to being an active participant of our employee-owned culture is a must.
- Preferred experience working with a variety of client types including regulated and non-regulated utilities, Independent Power Producers, municipalities, and other public and private clients.
- Participant in industry professional organizations, publications and conferences.