Ciena may well be the most important technology company you’ve never heard of. The innovations that wow us (driverless cars), and those we now take for granted (the ability to mobile-stream your favorite show) are the products of ingenuity from some brilliant and forward-thinking companies. But those companies rely on Ciena, another vanguard of innovation, to create and advance the underlying networks that bring their breakthroughs to our doorsteps. VR, AI, IOT, 5G … literally none of it would be possible without the mind-boggling technology that makes the internet itself work. For more than 25 years, Ciena has been the global leader in networking strategy, and our technology has been part of the critical infrastructure running within the most advanced companies in the world.
What will you do at Ciena?
At Ciena we are building more adaptive networks in response to the constantly changing world. This is an opportunity to impact the world by developing software and hardware technologies that impact Global Networks, Private and Public Cloud Solutions, 4G/5G communications, and SD-WAN. Developing great networking technology takes more than desire: it takes amazing people who understand collaboration, respect, and who reach out to the world through their respective talents. At Ciena, we provide multiple avenues for you to make the world a better place. If you’re looking for more than just a job, we invite you to explore the opportunities available and apply today.
You will build solutions that provide Ciena engineers robust data pathways that allow for cross-regional communication and the infrastructure to support these pathways. You will own and drive entire solutions which include service scalability, reliability, and troubleshooting
- Automate. Automate. Automate. Automate to test embedded software that will enhance Ciena’s L3 products and services designed for run on white box and in distributed network functions virtualization infrastructure
- Continue to bridge the gap between development and test with a strong bias towards ‘Quality and Re-use’
- Embrace the ‘feedback loop’ by engaging with various engineering teams to transform concepts, requirements into optimized test coverage and enhanced customer experience
- Evaluate both open source and 3rd party solutions to determine how we may integrate these components into the Ciena environment
- Be passionate about learning and adopting new technologies that will ease your day-to-day job
- Raise the bar of test team’s deliverables, including test plan, defect quality, automation coverage and minimizing of test escapes
- Provide critical and constructive feedbacks within test organization and cross functional teams
- Some periodic on-call duties to provide application support, incident management, and troubleshooting
The Packet Software and Access R&D organization is responsible for delivering platform-independent Service Aware Operating System (SAOS), Access products and next-generation virtualized operating system to support Virtualized/SDN/NFV applications.
Areas of impact
Typically spanning from the Metro edge to the customer edge, these products provide Carrier Ethernet/MPLS/G.8032/TDM services in mobile backhaul, enterprise and residential domains.
- Bs/Ms Computer Science or Electrical Engineering with 5+ years of experience in support and escalation in networking and telecommunications domain.
- Position requires proficient troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- CCIE in Routing & Switching or MPLS will be a plus
- An experienced individual interested in the area of telecommunications and test, networking experience with Routers, Switches, WAN, LAN, TDM, VoIP, Telecomm, and other internetworking technologies.
- Expertise in Data Networking, Ethernet switches and Ethernet products architecture
- Good knowledge of network design and deployment scenarios in Carrier/Metro Ethernet Space, SDN, virtualizations.
- Hands-on Experience on real-world topologies in at least three of the following domains: MPLS/TDM /OAM (BFD, CFM, AIS),
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of TCP/IP—addressing, routing protocols (BGP, OSPF, MPLS, etc.), and transport protocols (UDP and TCP).
- Detailed knowledge and hands on experience in troubleshooting routing protocol issues including BGP, OSPF
- Experience of working with Telco and network service providers (TDM, Ethernet, DWDM, MPLS)
- Knowledge with network services such as DNS, DHCP, NTP and Authentication (RADIUS & TACACS)
- Experience with Network Management Systems including knowledge of SNMP & MIBs
- Experience with test equipment such as Ixia, Spirent, Network emulators, Juniper/Cisco
- Understanding of network performance analysis and capacity planning best practices.
- High Level Understanding of Windows, UNIX and Linux based server technologies
- Experience writing or debugging software would be a significant plus but not a requirement
- Understanding of SDN and NFV concepts would be a significant plus but not a requirement
- Able to effectively operate as self-managing and self-starting.
- Possesses good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Believe in providing the highest quality of service and strive for efficiency.
- Willing to be flexible with the Network Operations work schedule to support multiple shifts.
Rewarding experience. Meaningful outcomes.
Making a difference in people's lives through design and implementation of leading network technologies. That's what motivates us.
A distinct way to work
Free thinking, free discussion, and collaboration are the norm. Expect more satisfying outcomes - both personal and professional.
Ciena values the diversity of our workforce and respects its employees as individuals, regardless of race, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, gender or age.
Ciena is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, you should advise Ciena in a timely fashion of the specific needs / accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to any specific needs / accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
What you can expect from us
- You will receive notification of your successful application
- Successful applicants will be contacted by Talent Acquisition for an initial discussion
- If suitable you will be considered for the short list and our formal interview process