Software Systems Engineer – Senior
The senior level Software Systems Engineer shall provide technical leadership in the planning, investigation, design, and implementation of physical and virtualized infrastructure systems. The Senior Software Systems Engineer shall perform the following duties:
- Determine user requirements and design specifications for Infrastructure systems
- Create plans to ensure necessary maintenance to support system health is performed by junior staff
- Plan, schedule and conduct the installation of new or modified hardware and associated operating systems, and software applications
- Design and conduct tests and evaluations of infrastructure systems. Analyze and organize the corresponding hardware and software combined solutions through modeling and planning
- Perform system-level design and configuration of products including determination of hardware, operating system, and other platform specifications
- Evaluate new server, storage and security appliances and make recommendations to project managers regarding integration of these technologies into the existing network
- Plan new server and storage configurations and integration into existing infrastructure to maintain optimal performance
- Provide solutions that incorporate concepts across engineering disciplines and environments
- Influence team members, the customer, and vendors to define, analyze, and provide solutions for the customer's server, storage and application requirements
- Prepare complex work prints and schematics to define and illustrate infrastructure deployments and solutions
- Identify and recommend new design tools for use in new infrastructure projects
- Evaluate projected usage of CPU, Storage, Memory and Network Bandwidth to ensure future procurement planning and service delivery.
- Participate in and influence marketing proposals and studies by providing costing models, reports, and technical solutions for infrastructure projects.
- Plan, design, and implement network management systems to monitor, diagnose, control, and measure performance of infrastructure assets.
- Identify, analyze, and recommend new infrastructure administrative systems to ensure accurate systems inventory and timely implementation.
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree in one of the following areas: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer and Information Security, Computer Security, and/or Network Administration from an accredited university/college with eight (8) years’ experience; Master’s Degree in Computer Science or related scientific/technical field with five (5) years’ experience; PhD in Computer Science or related discipline with two (2) years’ experience; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- 8 Years of Experience with Virtualization technologies with a heavy focus on the VMware suite of capabilities.
- Able to Design, Deploy and Maintain VMware vCloud environments. Experience deploying Windows Servers, SQL databases and Linux hosts in virtual environment.
- Understanding of Software Defined Networking such as VMware Distributed Switching and Brocade Virtual Routers.