The Factory of the Future (FoF) team is a part of Global Quality & Operations and has responsibility for the design, development and support of custom and configured product manufacturing software systems. As an Illumina Software Systems Engineer you will operate as the vital link between Illumina’s factory Information Technology & Automation capabilities and the Operations business objectives. You will work with product stakeholders to develop the software requirements for complex information systems and technology solutions. This crucial role partners with Software Development, Software Quality and Software Test Engineers and Software Developers to support the design, development, and test of new and evolving products.
This person will join a dynamic, fast paced organization supporting new product development teams, as well as sustaining operations. You will be adept at balancing multiple project priorities and will be able to demonstrate leadership and agility through technical and organizational change.
All About You
- Coordinate across multi-disciplinary teams to transform user & business needs into a complete description of software system requirements
- Lead use case development, requirements gathering, requirements analysis and design/review meetings
- Create wireframes, workflow diagrams, and other visualizations to communicate technical concepts
- Write formal, detailed software requirements specifications and software documentation
- Manage requirements priority, changes, and planning for future product versions in a scalable and sustainable design
- Work in a collaborative team environment: accurately and fully describe user needs to software UX, development, and testing team members
- Support overall software project management including release planning, sprint planning and scope management
- Network across business areas and business functions for career growth and to inform product development.
- Lead feedback sessions with subject matter experts, customers and stakeholders.
- Stay abreast of trends in user experience, technology, and design processes.
- Evangelize user experience and customer-centric design practices
- Able to work independently and requires minimal guidance to perform required tasks
- Work with peers and/or subordinates to ensure timely completion of projects and tasks
- Take initiative to develop and implement new processes to strengthen data accuracy or enhance efficiency
- Demonstrate effective communication style working with all levels of organizational structure, through multiple departments, and across global sites
- Provide leadership to junior level engineers
- Able to elicit requirements for new, medium to large scale systems with contributing subsystems
- Experience working in a regulated environment
- Solid understanding of systems engineering to create and explain system modeling tools
- Technical background in manufacturing, preferably in a life sciences, diagnostic, and/or medical device environment
- Knowledgeable of formalized requirements gathering and analysis methods and tools
- Experience with ISA-95 with a strong understanding for the boundaries between enterprise and control systems
- Full understanding of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Experience leading a software development team comprised of software engineers and testers for production and process software
- Experience with Confluence, JIRA or JAMA preferred
- Able to present concepts in a clear and convincing manner to a broad range of audiences - from executives to software developers.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with both technical and non-technical users
- Ability to multi-task, stay organized, and incorporate feedback in a fast-paced environment
- Capable of leveraging business relationships with a target of impacting project quality and timelines