The Software Systems Engineer will work with internal stakeholders to help translate user needs into system requirements for the Next Generation Sequencing platforms, manufacturing operations and laboratory information management systems. This individual will work closely and support the Software development, Firmware Development and Software Test teams. For this role, the ability to work effectively and collaboratively with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment will be critical.
- Work with multi-disciplinary teams (Systems Integration, Research and Development, Engineering, UX, Manufacturing, Customer Collaborations, Support Teams) to transform user needs and elicit requirements for software development
- Manage feature backlog and prioritize requirements
- Write formal, high-quality and scalable software requirement specifications
- Assist in the preparation of documentation, including interface specifications, system configurations, and other design history documents
- Perform Risk Analysis to evaluate various technical solutions
- Generate wireframes and workflow/ process diagrams to help teams visualize ideas
- Thorough experience with Product Design engineering that includes Concept, Design, Development and Production
- Demonstrated skills in following areas: problem solving, conflict resolution, and customer and stakeholder interactions.
- Translate knowledge and hands-on experience into technical instructions and procedures
- Define and implement processes that optimize efficiency within the Software Development Team.
- 3+ years of Software Systems Engineer experience
- BS, MS or PhD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, System Engineering or related discipline.
- Flexibility to adapt to a rapidly changing work environment, manage competing demands and deal with delays or unexpected events
- Accurately document systems and methods, and able to create flowcharts, diagrams, manuals and other documentation
- Demonstrated problem solving skills including the ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner as well as gather and analyze information skillfully
- Experience with Atlassian tools (Jama, Jira, Confluence), a plus
- Experience with Wireframing and Workflow tools (Balsamiq, Gliffy, Microsoft Visio), a plus
- Experience with Scrum development process.
- Excellent communication, influencing and conflict resolution skills
- Collaborates, builds relationships and influences team members to work toward common goals
- Ability and willingness to make an impact
- Creativity of thought and mindset
- Thrives in a dynamic and fast paced environment
- A passion for discovery
- Stand or sit for extended periods of time