As a Software Support Engineer for McKesson, you will use your skills to troubleshoot, analyze, design, deploy, program, debug and modify computer programs for commercial or end-user applications for McKesson and their customers. This role acts as the first line of defense for triaging customer support issues, technical software deployment and assignments in addition to continuing to evolve and grow existing software programs. You will analyze and investigate applications engineering tasks and prepare design specifications, analysis, and recommendations, ensure that system improvements are successfully implemented and monitored to increase efficiency.
On occasion, you may also be relied upon to complete tasks and other related projects/functions outside your primary position. Making sure McKesson employees have diverse roles has been the backbone of our company’s success. Establishing departmental links across the McKesson organization (Support, Engineering, Project Management, Software and Production) are key to your success in this position.
- Provide engineering support and service leadership to the organizations’ efforts to resolve complex customer technical issues. Diagnose if issues are related to: application defects, database defects, server/domain/client environment, and or hardware issues.
- Work with existing system software / code currently developed.
- Work on system wide mechanical and software during start-up period for five new customer sites in the Midwest. Expected to organize and direct the transition from start-up thru warranty period to support/maintenance contract.
- Archive all internal machine functional specifications and hardware architectures for service reference.
- Supporting onsite troubleshooting with the assistance from a remotely located developer.
- Align and streamline documentation protocols.
- Document activities in databases (JIRA, WIKI, STASH) and author knowledge base documentation on troubleshooting issues related to software products and hardware devices. Work with the training/documentation team to aid in knowledge sharing.
- Actively participate in cross functional teams that may include Software Engineering, Product Management and Hardware Engineering on feature design and requirements.
- Participate in on site meetings to intervene with resolving problems of high severity and manage customer and vendor relationships to represent the support team.
- Develop & assist with proper project management procedures
- Program interfacing with McKesson R&D programs
**This position will require on-call support over weekends/evenings/holidays.
6+ years’ experience in working Software Development, providing technical support and in-field work.
- Experience providing technical support and guidance to product support teams, software engineers and onsite technicians.
- Good understanding of Microsoft Windows and Windows domains, servers, workstations, printers and firewalls.
- Experience writing queries and reports in relational databases (MariaDB or SQL Server)
- Experience with troubleshooting software and hardware issues remotely is a must
- In-depth knowledge of the diagnosis, repair & debugging of software & hardware automation
- Must have experience in a client facing role with strong written and verbal communication skills
Additional Knowledge & Skills
- Able to work independently
- Business and technical writing experience
- .NET technology experience a plus
- Devops experience a plus
- Knowledge of local networking, including Ethernet and TCP/IP configuration
- Considerable problem-solving aptitude
- Computer hardware, networking and communication knowledge
- Prior Technical Leadership experience desired
- Knowledge of Automated refill centers and pharmacy management systems.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in diagnosing and troubleshooting software and hardware automation
- Environment is pharmaceutical mail order / distribution plant; some time as work from home possible.
- May need to stand and crouch for extended periods while troubleshooting machines / equipment.
- Ability to travel regionally as needed up to 75%
- On-call support over weekends, evenings and holidays