Industry: Professional, Scientific & Technical Services•
5 - 7 years
Posted 243 days ago
- The Software Safety Engineer performs a variety of software safety tasks and analyses, either independently or under supervision.
- The selected candidate will be a member of a team providing support to the AMRDEC Software Engineering Directorate (SED).
- The applicant must be able to develop and review system and subsystem specifications and interface documentation for completeness, accuracy, and applicability with respect to software safety requirements.
- The Software Safety engineer attends regular meetings of project teams and prepares, reviews, and updates a number of software safety- related documents required for the project.
- The selected candidate will apply software system safety analysis techniques and will document how software safety is conducted as part of an overall system safety program.
- Other skills, experience, and qualifications that would provide the candidate a distinct advantage include software engineering, experience with software development/lifecycle processes, ability to read multiple software languages, good oral and written communication skills, and the ability to work as part of a team.
- Specific assignments may include review and evaluation of user needs documents, system specifications, and design documents; preparation and/or updating of system safety and software safety program plans; and performance and/or preparation of Functional Hazard Assessments (FHAs), software criticality assessments, safety significant function lists, safety requirements hazard analyses, and Safety Assessment Reports (SARs).
- The Software Safety Engineer may participate in integrated product teams (IPTs), software design reviews, code reviews, test plan reviews, test report reviews, and problem report reviews, as appropriate.
TYPICAL EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors and five (5) years or more experience; Masters and three (3) years or more experience; PhD and 0 years related experience
- Ability to obtain a Secret Security Clearance
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or computer science with 5+ years of overall related experience
- Review and evaluation of user needs documents, system specifications, and design documents
- Preparation and/or updating of system safety and software safety program plans
- Performance and/or preparation of Functional Hazard Assessments (FHAs), software criticality assessments, safety significant function lists, level of rigor task identification, safety requirements hazard analyses, and Safety Assessment Reports (SARs)
- Interaction with system and software development teams to identify applicable software safety requirements and ensure they are being met
- Provide technical guidance on software safety techniques to team members
DESIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Familiarity with programming, troubleshooting, and debugging using various languages and platforms
- Experience with AMCOM Regulation 385-17 and AMRDEC Software Engineering Directorate (SED) processes considered a plus
- Background in software engineering and computer science and have an in-depth knowledge and application experience with MIL-STD-882E, the Joint Software System Safety Engineering Handbook (JSSSEH), and other similar safety standards
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP)