The Software Quality Assurance Engineer is responsible for leadership, planning, design, development and execution of test processes, test plans and test scripts. Act as key point of contact for all QA aspects of releases, providing QA services and coordinating QA resources internally and externally. Lead and mentor QA team members, as well as manage outside contract testers. We count on our QA lead to keep all departments in the loop, creating metrics that anyone can use to double-check our work. In order to maintain deadlines, QA leads also evaluate the team throughout the life of the project to identify areas where improvement can be made.
Essential Job Functions (includes but is not limited to):
- Test plan development – the testing plan is one of the most important parts of quality assurance. QA leads should be familiar with creating and deploying quality assurance test plans
- Time and project management – since QA leads have to juggle multiple aspects of a product's life cycle, they should be excellent at time and project management so they don't delay the project
- Interpersonal skills – QA leads need to constantly communicate with upper management and other teams on the project. As such, they should be good at interpersonal verbal, oral, and written communication
- Plans, creates, maintains and executes detailed test plans, and scripts for verification of, but not limited to, software functionality, security, load, and performance.
- Represents software testing team as well as enables customer relationship.
- Deciding the test budget and schedule.
- Identifying the testing activities for other team members like testers or test engineers.
- Generates and maintains test data and the test environment.
- Reads, understands and correctly interprets business and technical requirements. Develops scripts to test these requirements. Suggests changes to ensure accuracy of documented requirements. Participates in reviews of technical documentation, such as user manuals and suggests improvements and tests incorporated procedures.
- Develops a thorough understanding of the functionality of PC, client-server, web or desktop applications.
- Participates in defining automation strategy and applying appropriate automation technologies to meet the short and long term quality goals.
- Responsible for following established test methodologies and processes. Evaluates test processes and procedures and makes recommendations for improvement.
- Works closely, collaboratively and communicates effectively with project stakeholders, engineers, and managers. Takes initiative and ownership, performs as a mentor and helps build a positive, productive work team.
- Performs investigative testing on customer and other issues as required.
- Documents test processes, test plans, test cases, configurations and results.
- Maintains and administers test management or configuration management software.
- Helps develop testing strategies, project plans and risk mitigation strategies.
Note: In addition to the Essential Functions, also performs similar work-related duties as assigned.
- Strong Management and lead skills.
- Strong Manual testing skills; exposure to automation.
- Must be passionate about quality.
- Ability to creatively and efficiently plan, organize and execute independent verification and validation of product functionality, load and/or performance or similar test types and report results. Must have a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical software requirements, specifications, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to quickly learn and understand client-server or web application architecture and programs.
- Must be subject matter expert, knowledge of standard QA methodologies related to software development and verification, and configuration management.
- Demonstrated ability to act effectively as a member of an engineering team in a fast paced, dynamic environment. Able to multi-task and adapt quickly.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to very quickly understand and relate project status and issues via clear verbal and written means.
- Execute test assets including test suites, test plans, test cases, automated and manual test scripts, test harnesses, and test data
- Maintain test environments on multiple hardware configurations
- Familiarity and/or experience with defect tracking and source code control systems
- Ability to review project documentation, requirements and materials for quality
- Ability to approach testing at different levels - from overall project objectives to specific test cases and scenarios
- Ability to "investigate & monitor" project requirements through SDLC
- Web services and client/server architecture testing
- Microsoft SQL Server (any/all versions)
- Windows OS (any/all versions of both desktop and server)
- Thorough knowledge of XML and XSD documents and technologies
- Ability to work with various company internal end users to determine testing needs and therefore tool requirements
- A minimum of B.S. degree in Information Technology or Computer Science.
- 3-5 years of experience in software Quality Assurance in Agile teams.
- Experience with Client Server applications, Web applications.
- Experience in Test Cases development tools such as Helix and Jira.
Travel Requirement, Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
- Ability to travel locally for activities such as meetings, classes, and workshops.
- Must be able to travel occasional by air as needed to attend training, conferences, and related activities.