Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 237 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
See job description
Enterprise Operations Engineering - Performance Engineer
PayPal is the leading technology platform company that enables digital and mobile payments on behalf of consumers and merchants worldwide. We put our customers at the center of everything we do. We strive to increase our relevance for consumers, merchants, friends and family to access and move their money anywhere in the world, anytime, on any platform and through any device.
Customer expectations are evolving and customers have less patience and mindshare for slow and frustrating user experiences. Ensuring the success and satisfaction of our customers requires best in class solutions to enable both self-service and agent aided resolution to solve customer issues in real time.
In this role you can make a measureable difference in the success of PayPal by applying your performance engineering skills to optimize the efficiency of our customer enabling solutions. The successful candidate will find joy in developing innovative practices to test, analyze and optimize complex customer service applications and infrastructure to ensure optimal efficiency and continuous availability.
- Characterize the performance and reliability attributes of existing and new customer service applications,infrastructureand technology through
- investigating and understanding of the architecture and software mechanics that impact system performance and durability
- the development of appropriate diagnostics, test cases, and performance workloads for real world representativeness and to stress and measure specific areas of interest
- developing and/or guiding the construction of system configurations
- executing the necessary test suites to test and measure availability, performance and scalability attributes
- identifying, monitoring and collecting relevant application and resource metrics
- analyzing and identifying areas for improvement and delivering actionable insight back to PD for immediate optimizations and/or product backlog for future enhancements
- Contribute to the automation and effectiveness of regression testing frameworks by
- contributing ideas and provide hands-on enhancements to existing testing frameworks for support of EOE applications
- design and build data generation solutions for supporting long duration (soak) tests, and for rapid reset of starting states for various test suites
- enhance monitoring facilities to capture useful data from all levels of application stack
- automate the analysis and comparison of APS metrics for multiple versions of an application to find performance differences
- Provide stewardship over application APS performance by monitoring application rollouts and historical performance trending over time by
- learns EOE application measurements to business transaction mappings and what governs their overall performance profiles
- collaborates with swat & system engineering teams on application instrumentation and monitoring tools to provide max insight into production behavior
- understands how EOE applications and tools impact teammate productivity and AHT
- support the diagnosis and resolution of agent and customer impacting site issues
- Intellectual curiosity and self-driven motivation to discover how solutions work beneath the user interface.
- Hands onexperiencewith developing test suites to test and characterize the APS of complex distributed applications through the use of:
- load generation tools such as jmeter, webload, loadcomplete, loadrunner
- OS level monitoring tools
- enterprise monitoring products and frameworks such as graphite and development of dashboards and/or reports
- APM tools such as Dynatrace or AppDynamics
- Experience with developing workloads using common network protocols including HTTP, REST, SOAP, SSL/TLS
- Experience with the characterization of data stores including SQL and non-SQL repositories such as Cassandra or Couchbase
- Experience with testing applications exposed through messaging systems such as JSM, ActiveMQ, Kafka, Tibco
- Experience and familiarity with complex distributed application architectures, application concurrency models and tradeoffs for performance and scalability
- Superior communication skills
- Cheerful disposition and desire to both learn and share with others
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.