Like Google's own ambitions, the work of a Software Engineer (SWE) goes way beyond just Search. SWE Managers have not only the technical chops to roll up their sleeves and provide technical leadership to major projects, but also manage a team of engineers. You not only optimize your own code but make sure engineers are able to optimize theirs. As a SWE Manager you manage your project goals, contribute to product strategy and help develop your team. SWE teams work all across the company, in areas such as information retrieval, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking, security, data compression, user interface design; the list goes on and is growing every day. Operating with scale and speed, our world-class software engineers are just getting started -- and as a manager, you guide the way.
Project Soli is a breakthrough interactive technology based on pico radar. It opens exciting interaction possibilities in future wearables, internet-of-things, automotive and other applications, where traditional interfaces like touchscreens and buttons are either difficult or impossible to use. The technology is comprised of a miniature radar chip coupled with state-of-the-art signal processing and machine learning techniques that, when used as part of the full application stack, allow for revolutionary, magical user experiences.
As the Software Manager and Technical Lead for Project Soli, you will lead and provide technical direction for the software development team to transfer Soli software technology from research to products in a short time frame. As an effective Software Tech Lead you will establish a technical vision for Soli software architecture; drive successful design, implementation and validation of the full stack of Soli software; and define, implement and enforce sound software engineering practices that will allow the team to quickly turn Soli technical vision into a product reality. The role is highly technical and requires hands-on software development, strong analytical skills.
You will work closely with the Soli hardware, basic research, UX and UXR teams as well as manage a dedicated team of software engineers. You work closely with the Business Partners, Product Management, Product Design and UX teams across Google to define key future product and engineering requirements for integration of Soli into their product, drive ideation and exploration of design solutions that allow efficient integration of Soli technology into existing software platforms, lead development and documentation of Soli APIs. You communicate Soli vision in Google and work with Product Management team to define future road map for Soli software development.
One of the driving forces of innovation at Google is our Advanced Technologies and Projects (ATAP) team. ATAP is a fast-paced, solution-oriented group developing and executing projects at the point where emerging science/technology trends meet consumer needs, products and services. Googlers working on ATAP projects will create demonstrations and user experiences that appear magical, simple and wondrous—and deliver at lightning speeds.
- Design and implement full stack architecture and APIs, maintain a technical roadmap for a highly scalable Soli software platform across various hardware, in particular embedded
- Provide technical, hands-on leadership of the software team, coding ~30% of the time. People manage effectively and grow the team; set up team goals and OKRs, drive execution
- Establish and maintain strong coding standards and sound engineering practices, regular code reviews, performance profiling and code optimization
- Communicate Soli vision and strategy to internal customers, lead ideation, design and technical development of future Soli extensions across Google and various product stakeholders in technology, business, UX and product management.
- MS in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience.
- 10 years of work experience in software engineering, including 5 years of experience as a technical lead or engineering manager.
- Programming experience in C and C++. Experience in development for mobile operating systems, Android, Unix.
- Experience with software architecture design, in particular real-time designs.
- PhD degree.
- Programming experience in Python and Java.
- Digital Signal Processing experience. Experience with machine learning and data capture systems
- Track record of delivering software solutions in products. Track record of shipping software products.
- Has a clear understanding of various development and performance trade-offs. Embedded and RTOS understanding
- Strong team player, analytical, project management and communication skills.