What to Expect
Tesla’s Systems Integration Team is seeking a Drive Systems Integration Engineer who will be responsible for ensuring firmware support for new vehicle features and new hardware are designed, implemented, and tested to achieve Tesla’s standards for safety and customer experience.
Drive Systems encompasses all aspects of safe and precise torque production. This includes integration of autopilot features such as adaptive cruise control and automatic emergency braking, smooth and safe application of power to the wheels, hill hold and one pedal driving, thermal management, and the overall mapping of drive power request to motor power. The drive systems integration engineer will be responsible for ensuring firmware maturity for new hardware introductions.
What You’ll Do
- Lead high-impact and fast-paced programs
- Design new cross-functional features that require coordination between various ECUs and devices
- Work cross-functionally across mechanical, electrical, system architecture, firmware development and firmware validation teams to understand new component-level hardware changes which are being developed and how to support them in firmware – both in manufacturing and for customer use – so that they can be seamlessly introduced to our vehicle platforms
- Develop and execute firmware integration test plans on new hardware components and firmware features to rapidly retire risk from new designs and provide feedback to the development teams to accelerate our aggressive development cycles
- Utilize critical analysis of potential failure modes and effects to influence these requirements
- Develop overall validation strategy for these features and work with validation teams to ensure automated test coverage is implemented for future firmware releases
- Dig into data and source code to identify and debug issues at the system level and propose robust solutions
- Work with manufacturing and service teams to ensure the function(s) are released on time and functioning properly. This can include development of processes, diagnostic tools and methods, and root-cause diagnosis for product issues
- Develop prototype test setups to integrate new subsystems with simulated and actual vehicle components
- Lead and manage integration of initial prototype systems including bring-up, debug, and engineering test of alpha- and beta-phase prototype vehicles
What You’ll Bring
- BS/MS degree in Mechatronics, Mechanical, Computer or Electrical Engineering or proof of exceptional skills in related fields.
- Exceptional ability to keep multiple projects moving forwards in parallel
- Hands-on technical experience debugging complex systems involving networked microprocessors and software-controlled electrical or electromechanical devices
- Proven ability to use programming to solve challenging problems and increase own/team’s efficiency through automation
- Experience with C or C++ required. Candidate must have strong comprehension but need not be fluent.
- Experience with Python desired
- Ability to fluently interpret system data to gain a full understanding of logged events
- Thorough understanding of mechanical fundamentals - and ability to apply them to automotive concepts
- Understanding of low voltage and high voltage circuits and how to debug them
- Experience with CAN and Vector CAN tools is a plus
- Experience with Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) and Hazard Analysis and Risk Assessment (HARA) is a plus
Compensation and Benefits
Along with competitive pay, as a full-time Tesla employee, you are eligible for the following benefits at day 1 of hire:
- Aetna PPO and HSA plans > 2 medical plan options with $0 payroll deduction
- Family-building, fertility, adoption and surrogacy benefits
- Dental (including orthodontic coverage) and vision plans, both have options with a $0 paycheck contribution
- Company Paid (Health Savings Account) HSA Contribution when enrolled in the High Deductible Aetna medical plan with HSA
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- LGBTQ+ care concierge services
- 401(k) with employer match, Employee Stock Purchase Plans, and other financial benefits
- Company paid Basic Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Sick and Vacation time (Flex time for salary positions), and Paid Holidays
- Back-up childcare and parenting support resources
- Voluntary benefits to include: critical illness, hospital indemnity, accident insurance, theft & legal services, and pet insurance
- Weight Loss and Tobacco Cessation Programs
- Tesla Babies program
- Commuter benefits
- Employee discounts and perks program
$104,000 - $348,000/annual salary + cash and stock awards + benefits
Pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.