Position Summary: As the Software Development Vice President, you will provide leadership and management oversight of the Software Development Team, providing the vision and setting the direction for UBT’s software development organization. The Software Development Team is chartered with delivering quality software that provides value to the bank’s many business areas and customers.
This role is responsible for recruiting, developing, and retaining talent, as well as ensuring the software engineering staff have the skills and capabilities to meet our business needs. The Software Development Vice President will also plan, coordinate and direct activities of the Software Development Team in the design, development and implementation of applications developed within the organization. Also, this person will lead continuous improvement of Agile practices and be an advocate for improvement of our delivery approaches.
- Set the overall vision and plan, coordinate, and direct activities of the Software Development team in the design, development and implementation of applications developed within the organization.
- Responsible for various phases of development and maintenance of approved projects including analysis, planning, development, testing and documentation. Work closely with Quality Assurance team to implement Agile QA practices.
- Build strong working relationships with business leaders to ensure software engineering teams meet expectations and contribute to achievement of business goals.
- Works with project management, engineering, and technical staff to solidify technical and infrastructure requirements and meet SLA’s
- Develop workforce strategy to meet the organization’s current and future software engineering needs through developing, hiring, and/or sourcing talent. Interviews, hires, and facilitates initial and ongoing training, mentors and completes evaluations of the Software Development Team to ensure an ongoing high level of product knowledge and customer service skills.
- Champion best practices and modern software development methods and tools. Ensure compliance with the established software development methodology and software development life cycle (SDLC).
- Ensure subordinates are trained and comply with bank policy, laws, and regulations applicable to their roles. Monitor subordinates’ adherence to internal controls and act to address employee performance issues.
- Lead software engineering teams and other stakeholders to set goals for improving code quality, maintainability, security, and scalability. Monitor progress against these goals.
- Work with the Information Security Officer to ensure software is effectively secured and that risks are mitigated.
- Oversee management of relationships with consultants, vendors, and contractors and support negotiation of statements of work and business terms with suppliers.
- Manage the software engineering budget, with ongoing focus on personnel, vendor, and capital expenditures.
- Support and facilitate innovative and experimental software development work to test new ideas, within bounded cost and time frames.
- Understand and adhere to all bank policies, laws, and regulations applicable to their role. Complete compliance training: follow internal processes and controls as required.
- Report all compliance issues, violations of law or regulations in accordance with the steps defined in bank policies.
- Perform other job-related duties or special projects as assigned.
- Regular and reliable attendance is an essential function of this position
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related degree preferred.
- 10+ years of application development leadership experience required.
- Prefer 10+ years of programming experience in the desired languages: .NET, C#, SQL.
- Prefer 5+ years supervisory experience.
- Banking experience preferred.
- Valid Nebraska Driver’s License.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex technical information in a condensed manner to various stakeholders verbally and in writing.
- Ability to build and maintain strong cross-functional partnerships at all levels of the organization.
- Deep Understanding of software development methodologies and best practices.
- Understanding of software development methodologies and best practices.
- Strong talent management skills including talent development, coaching, mentoring, and team motivation.
- Understanding of relevant tools and platforms (e.g., Azure cloud platforms, web technologies, client-server technologies, continuous integration, and deployment), with an eagerness to learn about new and unfamiliar technologies.
Mostly indoor work with occasional exposure to outdoor elements or hazards.
Medium workload – lifting and/or carrying up to 20 pounds frequently and exerting up to 75 pounds of force occasionally.
Some travel required.