Technologists at T. Rowe Price are playing a key role in helping build the future of financial services, working hand-in-hand with business partners to create client experiences that are changing the way people invest.
The Investments Risk Technology team is looking for a hands-on software engineering manager who combines ambition with humility and is happy to let their performance do the talking. In this role you will lead the technical strategy for one of the Investment technology team's premier platforms, supporting our Investment Risk platform. Investment Risk plays a critical role in helping investors review and build their portfolios as well as comply with international standards. The Investment Risk technology team is responsible for transforming the platform into a cloud enabled, data service-based platform that will allow for the Risk analysts to quickly turnaround analysis to adapt to change. Using analytical thinking, a strong dose of creativity and by working with the company's team of software engineers, product managers, and business partners, engineering managers drive the technology roadmap from strategy to execution through a rapid, test and learn approach that generates real impact.
You will work with smart, talented people across our business. We will expect you to be agile / to lead / to think outside the box. In return, we will give you challenging work that has an impact / opportunities to learn and grow / and a collaborative culture that encourages every member of our team to bring their point of view to the table—because that is how we help our clients succeed.
This role includes managing a small team of software engineers and requires hands on development skills.
Designs, develops, modifies, adapts and implements short- and long-term solutions to information technology needs through new and existing applications, systems, databases and applications infrastructure. Reviews and interprets system requirements and business processes. Codes, tests, debugs and implements software solutions.
- Provides leadership and direction through managers and sizeable teams of professionals
- Is accountable for the performance and results of a larger department and/or multiple departments
- Develops and executes strategy to achieve key business objectives defined in collaboration with senior management
- Decisions are guided by department and Business Unit strategy and objectives with results assessed with a near term and long-term perspectiveROLE SUMMARY AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages a development team to deliver projects which achieve target outcomes
- Demonstrates master hands-on capability to drive components to delivery
- Applies people management skills to coach, mentor and develop engineers in the team
- Accountable for the quality, TCO, maintainability and security of the solutions built by team
- Contributes to specific elements of the GTS Technical strategy
- Is held accountable for driving the realization of the GTS Technical strategy in their area of responsibility
- Identifies non-obvious relationships and anomalies often over looked by others
- Balances strategic and pragmatic concerns when solving problems
- Detects and overcomes issues before the broader team is aware of them
- Provides timely feedback and coaching to individuals and teams using data to reinforce learning
- Is accountable for the development of direct reports
- Responsible for recruitment and performance management of associates
- Able to overcome differences of opinion and drive team alignment around a specific goal or solution
- Experienced in leading large software development projects in terms of team size, technical complexity and/or organizational complexityBUSINESS KNOWLEDGE
- Demonstrates deep knowledge of products/flows within supported businesses
- Articulates broader business concerns and/or regulatory landscape, including key risks and controls (e.g., GDPR, MIFID, SOX)
- Makes decisions that are cognizant of the firm's broader business strategy REQUIREMENTS
- BS/MS in Computer Science, Math, Physics or another related technical discipline and 7+ years typically of progressive software engineering leadership.
- Stays current with best-of-breed technologies
- Stays abreast of industry trends and technologies and knows when/how/if to apply them appropriately
- Converses in many technologies and learns new technologies quickly
- Defines testing strategy for products and ensures adherence to strategy
- Considers the long-term operation and ownership of systems being developed. Works with stakeholders within agreed operating models.
- Owns technical debt across their development team
- Capable of leading projects in one or more SDLC methodologies (e.g. Scrum), operating with efficiency and transparency