Software Engineering Manager - Tools & Infrastructure
You will lead a team of 10-12 engineers delivering the critical infrastructure, tooling, services, and support that allows our worldwide development team deliver the software that powers the 2D and 3D machine vision systems that our customers use to guide robots, automate inspections, solve problems, and transform industries.
- You will integrate, consolidate, and expand our continuous build/test/deploy pipeline.
- You will support the continuing deployment of our worldwide development tooling backplane.
- You will directly manage a core team of 5-6 engineers in Natick, and you will coordinate the work of a global team of embedded release engineers located in the US and Europe.
- You will work closely with senior management on strategic initiatives including IP protection
- You will source and deploy collaboration and productivity tools
- You will manage a set of complex relationships among diverse groups including corporate IT, product development, and QA.
- You will report directly to the Senior Director of Engineering
- You will work with product development leadership across the enterprise.
- You will be comfortable working with C-suite management to articulate and drive forward a clear vision for development tooling and methodology roadmap.
- You will infuse your team with a work hard/move fast ethos. Your team will support product development/test/release activity in real time.
- You will work with a management team that values action and rewards smart, flexible decision making
- You are always looking and moving forward; you are capable of articulating and driving a strategic vision while also managing day-to-day complexity.
- When you fight fires, you figure out how to harness the fire's energy to push your vision forward
- You know when to push hard, and when to walk (or run) away
- You are always asking, "how can I make this better/simpler/faster?"
- You cut through complexity to illuminate what really matters
- You enjoy tackling the challenges of supporting mutli-site distributed development
- Your exposure to and enthusiasm for a wide range of technology is more important than specific experience, but you should
- Be experienced using and supporting Git and Git LFS
- Be comfortable, using, managing, configuring, and developing for Windows, Linux, and embedded platforms
- Be familiar with a range of virtualization platforms and system configuration tools (Docker, Puppet, Chef, Vagrant, etc.)
- Have experience deploying and supporting CI platforms (TeamCity, Jenkins etc.)
- Understand how to deploy and support a distributed package management system
- You have a minimum of 10 years of software development experience, including
- At least 3years of line management experience
- At least 5years of experience in tools/infrastructure/devops
- At least 5years developing software in C, C++, C#, or Java.
- You have outstanding communication skills:
- You can quickly create PowerPoint decks or Confluence pages that establish a shared vision for a short-term project or a strategic plan
- You are comfortable delivering technical and non-technical presentations
- You are a good writer