The Climate Corporation is modernizing the agriculture industry with a platform and products that are helping the world’s farmers sustainably increase productivity with digital tools. We build hardware, platforms, and a suite of grower facing applications that collect and process vast amounts of agronomic data. We then deliver insights that allow farmers to improve their yield and operate in a more sustainable way.
We are looking for a Manager of Data Infrastructure to help build a unified processing platform that will power the next generation of digital farming. If you’re an expert at designing large-scale distributed data platforms and want to build something that impacts the world in a positive way, this might be the growth opportunity you’ve been looking for.
What makes a successful manager at Climate?
- Invests in people - Someone who fosters a culture of inclusion, trust, mentorship, praise, constructive feedback and is able to continually build, develop and retain their team.
- Inspires - Someone who gains buy-in by listening to the thoughts and opinions of others and creates optimism and confidence in a clear and believable way.
- Thinks - Someone who uses critical thinking and strategic planning to make well-informed decisions. They create an environment where the right approaches surface from a variety of diverse opinions and perspectives.
- Achieves Results - Someone that can make plans and be proactive in order to get things done. They continuously improve the effectiveness of their team by setting achievable and specific goals, regularly evaluating results, implementing improvements and holding their team accountable.
What You Will Do:
- Build and mentor a group of high-performing engineers with a strong team-oriented culture.
- Guide the professional development of each direct report through performance management and coaching.
- Contribute to the vision, goals, and technical strategy in alignment with customer needs
- Partner stakeholders & architects to drive detailed requirements and durable technical design
- Drive clarity in ambiguous situations and mobilize the team for achieving results
- Reduce technical debt through well designed platform infrastructure
- Create the data processing platform for the Digital Farming Platform
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent work experience
- 4+ years of experience in data engineering building data platforms
- 3+ years building, leading and growing diverse groups of high-performing engineers
- Extremely comfortable with ambiguity and changes of direction
- A master of driving clarity to keep engineering teams productive
- Expert relationship builder
- Demonstrated ability to balance and influence key relationships with Product, Architecture, and other stakeholders
- Deep understanding of AWS architecture, technologies and services and optimizations
- Expert in extremely large data implementations leveraging modern data technologies like S3, No-SQL databases, Spark, and Kafka
- Expert in data systems and design
- Deep knowledge of modern distributed systems
- Understanding of various SDLC methodologies including scrum and waterfall
- Experience working project management software like Jira and smartsheet
- Knowledge of languages like Java, SQL, and Python
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills