Software Engineering Manager - SRE
Title: Software Engineer Manager (SRE)
Work Location: Seattle, Washington or Charlotte. North Carolina
Job Type: Full Time
As the Software Engineer Manager for the Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team, you would be responsible for leading the day-to-day activities for Avaya?s cloud platform and team initiatives. On an on-going basis, this position will identify areas of process improvement between development and operations, developing tools and scripts as needed in order to resolve and optimize. You will be required to work closely with other teams to document the cloud infrastructure and monitoring systems. A deep technical proficiency in both enterprise-scale systems as well as next generation cloud native applications are required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage the availability, scalability and performance of Avaya?s Cloud platforms.
- Manage/enhance AGILE/SCRUM process within the team and ensure alignment of priorities with product, development and operations.
- Engage in and improve the entire lifecycle of services from inception and design, through deployment, operation and refinement.
- Diagnose and repair network and application bottlenecks
- Support services before they go live through activities such as system design consulting, developing software platforms and frameworks, capacity planning and launch reviews.
- Maintain services once they are live by measuring and monitoring availability, latency and overall system health.
- Scale systems sustainably through mechanisms like automation, and evolve systems by pushing for changes that improve reliability and velocity.
- Test and tune network, hardware, and cloud infrastructure configurations to maximize availability, performance and efficiency.
- Practice sustainable incident response and blameless postmortems.
- Design and document systems, including writing and reviewing code, to automate away problems within the domain.
- Working collaboratively and guiding the team and complex issues.
- Participation in code reviews, willingness to take time to help others grow and succeed.
- BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field involving coding (or equivalent practical experience.
- Seven plus years?experience designing, supporting and deploying Cloud-based products and services.
- Five plus years?experience operating complex, large-scale Enterprise guest-facing applications or web sites.
- Minimum of 3years leading projects or functional teams.
- Experience hardening and maintaining secure systems (Safe Harbor or PCI experience a plus).
- Scaling production systems and technologies, for example load balancing, monitoring, distributed systems and configuration management.
- Systems administration experience with Avaya, Cisco/Networking, server infrastructure, Citrix/VDI, Linux/Windows systems.
- In-depth working knowledge of TCP/UDP/IP, VOIP/SIP protocols.
- Automation scripting skills with Python, Bash, etc.
- Experience planning/deploying/running various types of AWS infrastructure (Route 53, S3, EC2, VPC, RDS, etc.).
- Configuration management using Ansible or similar tools.
- Understanding of high availability hardware and database systems design and implementation including cluster management, redundancy and failover testing.
- Experience with deployment and management of open source Network resources and tools (OpenVPN, ElasticSearch, Logstash, Kibana (ELK), Zenoss, etc.).
- Clear understanding of Agile SDLC methodology.
- Ability to react gracefully to high-priority requirements with little or no notice, providing clear documentation and follow-through.
- Strong organizational and task management skills
- Ability to balance contending priorities while working alone or within a team.
- Ability to produce system documentation, including writing requirements, operational specifications, system architecture, test plans and as-built documentation, all with attention to detail.
- Excellent reliability, dependability and trustworthiness.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Systems/Solution oriented using curiosity and creativity to identify and enhance the Spoken platform.
- Great people and communication skills.