Signal is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to guide and mentor a team working on core elements of our service-oriented platform and core distribution systems, including vendor integrations. This is both a hands-on development and managerial role.
As a technical authority, you’ll be responsible for guiding the technical decisions your team makes. You’re not a dictator; you’re an experienced advisor. As a people manager, you’ll be responsible to your awesome engineers, finding ways to advance their careers and have a great timeat work. And as an engineering manager, you’ll be responsible to stakeholders outside your team: your peers in engineering management, product management, and above all, our customers.
Signal engineering teams are autonomous, and their domains range from high-performance back-end systems to the fine-grained tooling we provide our customers. We look for people who lead by example, and want the freedom to solve truly technical problems and provide team direction. We keep our teams small (3-9) to make this possible.
If you want to contribute to the creation and evolution of products that change the way an industry works, keep reading.
So, what would you be doing?
- Build, lead, and always be working to develop a team of talented, challenged and happy developers and apprentices.
- Build for scale: our platform facilitates billions of requests monthly.
- Drive requirements, write great code and stay ahead technically. Participate in code reviews, testing.
- Collaborate. You'll be working with everyone—engineering team, product management, internal stakeholders, and senior management toinnovate and get stuff done.
- Work to help us be the best team we can be by promoting great architectural practices, improving process and always wanting to learnmore.
- Participate in Hack Weeks, Shark Weeks, demo days. Have fun and experience life at a growing tech company.
What we need from you:
- You have engineering management experience. (This is a must. Submissions without prior managerial experience cannot be considered) You love to mentor, see people go on to lead their own teams and achieve greatness.
- You are a Java expert. We use Java. This is a Hybrid Managerial/Hands-on development role, so we need people with both Java coding and management skills.
- Technical skills. You have experience working in large code bases and engineering features that are secure, scalable and highly available.
- Sense of curiosity and desire to always be learning.
- Deep experience in HTTP, REST, API design and SOA
- You are really smart and amazing but your ego doesn't require that you be the only smart and amazing person on your team.
- You are comfortable using source control (Git).
- A strong preference for open source technologies is a must.
- You care about your work and will do pretty much anything to bring structure and fun to the teams you lead.