If you're passionate about building a better future for individuals, communities, and our country—and you're committed to working hard to play your part in building that future—consider WGU as the next step in your career.
Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
Position Reports To: Director of Business Systems
Positions Supervised: Software Engineer, Senior Software Engineer, System Admins
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY
We are looking for a passionate and motivated engineering manager to lead one of our engineering team implementing Salesforce - Sales, Marketing, Service, and Community cloud. This is a strategic area for WGU as it enables our vision of personalizing student experience at scale. We are actively building and expanding student journeys, improving staff and faculty experience and making our marketing campaigns and associated investments more efficient by aggressively investing in this area. This is an excellent opportunity for a technology leader with strong business acumen to collaborate with IT and business leaders to unlock the potential that our platform has to offer.
The Software Engineering Manager will provide technical leadership, vision, direction, and mentoring for the software engineering team. This individual will manage a team of personnel who design, develop, and support SF applications to meet business requirements. The Software Engineering Manager will deliver product and feature roadmaps and provide overall leadership and day to day management for a team of software development professionals. Additionally, they will provide resource planning and project scheduling using Agile/Scrum software development methodologies.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead a team of Salesforce and Java developers and Salesforce administrators.
- Provide technical leadership to the team including system and application level architectural oversight.
- Maintain high standards for software quality by establishing and following good practices and build a strong engineering culture of operational excellence
- Collaborate with business stakeholders, product owners, architects and x-functional teams to plan, design, develop and deploy applications and services on time, within budget and scope
- Actively drive the development life-cycle from requirements analysis, feasibility estimates, design, code, demos, documentation, testing, implementation, and support.
- Responsible for design reviews, code reviews, and technical documentation.
- Support integrated applications with an understanding of system integration, test planning, scripting, monitoring and troubleshooting
- Support a change management process to manage software releases, application patching and changes to production configurations.
- Lead the resolution of incidents and performance issues including root cause analysis (correction of errors aka COE's)
- Manage multiple tasks and responsibilities in high-pressure environments; excelling at pinpointing and resolving problems in early project stages to avoid cost/time expenses.
- Exercise good judgment on Build vs. Buy by carefully assessing the business needs and the available internal or external solutions.
- Hire, retain, mentor, coach and develop technical talent on the team and help drive employee engagement.
- Set team goals, manage individual performance and mentor team members.
- Strong people and management skills to interact with staff, colleagues, leadership, cross-functional teams and third parties.
- Commitment to quality through the ability to translate complex technical requirements into functional software using best practices.
- Expert in Agile methods including SCRUM, Design-Driven Development and Test-Driven Development.
- Designing and developing enterprise grade software in fast-paced distributed environments (highly scalable, reliable, available)
- Scalability, Availability, Load and Performance considerations and relevant best practices
- Strong inclination towards improving solutions and/or surrounding processes
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work equally well in self-managed and team-based Agile/Scrum projects.
- Deep technical knowledge of Java based web applications using web services (REST/SOAP/SOA/XML/HTML).
- Experience with Continuous deploy and integration tools
- Other Technical Experience That Would be a Plus:
- SQL, Oracle or other database interface experience, large data sets.
- Jira, IDM / OSSO.
- Student Information Systems.
- CRM systems
- Document Management systems.
- Application Integration with legacy systems
- Preferred Competencies
- Experience with Salesforce Marketing Cloud, Sales or Service cloud is a big plus
- Up to date knowledge of latest releases in Salesforce
- Cloud based applications and infrastructure experience – AWS, machine learning, AI
- Docker and kubernetes experience
- Experience with message queues like rabbit mq
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND/OR EDUCATION
- 8+ years of hands-on development experience
- 3 years of direct management experience required
- At least 1 year of experience as a Salesforce Developer
- Knowledge of object-oriented design and implementation
- Bachelor's in computer science degree (or related discipline) required (master's preferred)