This position will work closely with a teams of engineers, product managers, and engineering leadership to plan and execute a software roadmap for vehicle code running on Saildrones. This will involve software that commands and navigates drones remotely in real time, sensors and scientific payloads that gather data for clients, and camera-driven ML systems which identify ships and obstacles on the horizon. You’ll work closely with all parties involved - managing engineers directly, conducting 1v1s and performance reviews, marshalling and tracking work for engineering teams through to completion each sprint. You’ll also be coordinating with other managers to lay a course for future work and resourcing on a quarterly basis.
- You will be working closely with a highly technical software stack, so mastery of software engineering is essential.
- Not merely tracking work, You will help the team make good software design decisions. We are looking for a candidate who has transitioned their career from software engineering to software management.
- Experience with compiled languages (C, C++, Golang, Objective-C, or Swift) and ARM architectures is ideal, but candidates with an exceptional track record in python will be considered.
- Demonstrated track record managing teams of engineers (5 or more) is strongly preferred.
- Collaborative work style, placing achieving common goals first
- Proven advocacy for teams and experience leading others to excel is essential.
- Experience with modern Agile software management practices
- High comfort level prioritizing the work of software engineering teams
- JIRA experience