Description: Job Title: Software Engineeing Manager -ApplicationsJob Code: AS20201410-51844Job Location: Plano,TXL3Harris Advanced Systems & Technologies (AS&T) division specializes in developing disruptive, next-generation technologies for advanced Unmanned Air Systems (UAS / UAV), advanced radar systems, next-generation weapon systems, and other RF sensor technologies using small company agility and big company experience.
A Software Engineering Manager - Applications
provides direction and leadership to software engineers to build a best in class and innovative software engineering team. The manager must continually improve developmental processes and practices to increase rigor while evaluating alternative methods that allow for the proper program pace while containing cost. Involvement and review of program planning, technical solutions and risk mitigation is also expected. Strong people skills are required as interaction with Engineering Directors, Program Management, Business Area Managers and company leadership is expected.Major Job Activities:
- Overall quality of the team's program planning, execution and success
- Provide technical guidance
- Provide a team culture of innovation and inclusion
- Performs as an individual contributor on programs
- Adherence to processes and policies
- Matrix manager for team members
- Clear and frequent communication with company and program leadership
- Working towards the functional organization's vision
- Manage the Application Software Engineering staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, planning and training employees. Coach, counseling, monitor, and appraise staff performance.
- Achieves financial objectives by preparing and managing the Application Software Engineering OH spending budgets and capital equipment expenses; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions. Maintains stated weekly and yearly direct labor utilization targets for staff.
- Supports the Senior Manager of Software Engineering in continuous improvement of development processes; overall program execution performance; proposal review and concurrence and provisioning of necessary resources (equipment, tools, facilities, etc.).
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be a U.S Citizen with ability to obtain and maintain DoD Secret clearance. Must be able to obtain and maintain additional clearances.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering or Computer Science or related field.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in complex Software Engineering developmental projects that span from requirements through product delivery
- Minimum of 5 years' experience leading a technical team (minimum of 10 people)
- Experience in the development of complex systems, preferably in C++/C#
- Must possess a history of strong leadership and initiative
- Strong understanding of all aspects of the software engineering discipline
- Excellent people skills, with experience leading and collaborating in a multi-disciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team environment
- Proven track record of continuous improvement
- Experience with and understanding of CMMI, ISO9001/AS9100 or similar
- Experience developing products using MIL standards
- Experience developing complex software applications
- Experience developing Graphical User Interfaces
- Understanding of Agile or Evolutionary development methodologies (or similar)
- Program execution experience using a crawl, walk run paradigm
- Proven track record of on-time deliveries, project management and customer satisfaction
- Excellent problem solving skills (root cause analysis experience)
- Outstanding work ethic and commitment to organizational success
- Proposal experience up to and including book-boss
- Demonstrated ability to develop, nurture and grow strong customer relationships
- Significant experience with risk and opportunity management tools
- Earned Value Management experience controlling program engineering execution
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products
- Outstanding communication skills (written, verbal, & presentation)
- Existing DoD Secret clearance, with current 5 year update
- Familiarity with software engineering development methodologies
- Familiarity with systems engineering development methodologies
- Ability to lift up to 20 lbs.
- Ability to travel up to 10%