Berkley Technology Services (BTS) is a dynamic company committed to providing world class IT services. We offer a unique culture, enabling our team members to be on the cutting edge of technology while delivering high quality solutions. Our functions include working with various third parties to develop, integrate, and support insurance systems of WRBC's operating units. BTS strives to provide these functions in a holistic manner including helpdesk support, system connectivity, and operational support. Additional responsibilities include coordinating communications regarding best practices in the use of our supported systems and researching new technology. BTS is constantly growing and expanding to meet the changing demands of one of the most successful insurance organizations in the world.
The CMDB Engineer works closely with all technology departments and Berkley subsidiaries to design holistic solutions that benefit the enterprise. Primary responsibilities include (1) Development, enhancement, and sustained support of the ServiceNow CMDB and Discovery Patterns (2) Continuous improvement and maturity of the Configuration Management Database (CMDB) and Discovery engine and Patterns, (3) Alignment of business goals with ServiceNow platform roadmaps. Intimate knowledge of ITIL Framework is required in order to work with Operations, Infrastructure and Application teams, ITSM, and Change management departments.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Supports existing ServiceNow Discovery patterns, probes, scripts, business rules, etc.
- Supports CMDB Data Health and Accuracy, tracks and monitors issues in existing processes
- Supports integrations between Discovery / CMDB and other internal systems
- Supports any ITIL process that rely on CMDB; Change Management, Impact analysis, Asset Management, Vulnerability management, etc.
- Creates documentation for new developments (presentations, gap analysis reports, process flow diagrams, procedures)
- Works within all phases of the application lifecycle and best practices to include requirement gathering, design, development, testing (application code and user acceptance), and deployment.
- Works with Configuration Item owners to sustain knowledge, data integrity, and relationships
- Maintains thorough documentation for distribution and training
- Performs regular audits on data, governance process, and relationships
- Analyzation of the effectiveness of existing processes and creates gap analysis on a yearly basis
- Performs regular configuration database maintenance and develops a CI archive policy
- Establishes and enforces system standards
- Provides CI reconciliation and data normalization as needed
Continuous Improvement and Development:
- Introduces CI lifecycle process automation to increase CI owner efficiency and improve data and relationship integrity
- Develops new discovery patterns, probes, scripts, business rules where needed
- Develops and deploys new integrations with internal / external systems to supplement CMDB
- Enhances BSM mapping automation for Change Mgmt. impact analysis
- Pursues opportunities for automating operational processes in the enterprise that rely on CI relationships
- Collects and prioritizes CMDB enhancements for the organization
- Identifies, discovers, and on-boards new configuration item classes that would increase business value
- Leads and delivers key project-based initiatives that are based on Shared Services goals
- Keeps up to date on ServiceNow roadmaps and aligns internal company processes to align
- Stays informed of industry best practice and standards
- Identifies, evaluates, and recommends technologies to achieve a more efficient and automated data population approach
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations
- Travel expectations: once per quarter for site meetings, training opportunities, etc.
- Occasional off-hours support may be required for implementation of system changes
CMDB Software Engineer is a technical job that requires expertise in a broad range of software development, infrastructure, and project management experience.
Specific Experience Required
- 4 year technical oriented degree, or equivalent work experience with technical product and application support
- 5 years’ experience with the ServiceNow platform specifically with CMDB, Discovery, Change Management, Asset Management, and Reporting modules
- 3 years’ prior Configuration Management tool and Discovery experience (ServiceNow preferred)
- 3 years’ experience with supporting ServiceNow Discovery probes, sensors, classifications, process handlers, Scheduled Jobs, Data Import Sets, business rules, script includes, and CI Identification rules
- 3 years’ experience in XML, Java script, PowerShell, WMI, Shell scripting languages, LDAP, REST and SOAP APIs
- Familiarity with administration of various operating systems and platforms such as Windows, UNIX, Linux, SQL
- Familiarity with Infrastructure services such as virtualization, containerization, Active Directory, SCCM and Cloud
- Certification as ServiceNow Application Developer is preferred
- ITIL Foundation minimum / ITIL Intermediate preferred
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, collaboration and documentation skills
- Familiarity with Asset Management module is preferred
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science or software engineering