Software Engineer w/ limited Systems Engineering
Polaris Alpha develops innovative solutions to the most significant challenges affecting our Nation's ability to collect, utilize, and defend digital information. We’re passionate about developing cutting-edge, creative solutions, and fostering a highly sought-out place of employment for many of the brightest minds in the industry. We are the best because we hire the best. At Polaris Alpha, we have developed a culture of going above and beyond the normal expectations in the delivery of our work. Our clients and employees are the number one reason why we’re successful, and that formula won’t be changing!
From pure research to directly supporting space operations, Polaris Alpha’s space programs are firmly focused on maintaining our nation’s space superiority through cutting-edge enterprise computing expertise and SSA domain knowledge, enabling us to architect and deliver robust solutions tailored to meet real-world operational requirements. The company is best known for not only understanding our customers' needs, but also consistently exceeding their expectations. Polaris Alpha develops sophisticated data visualization, event analysis, pattern detection, mission planning and mobile software using net centric and enterprise architectures. This position is for a Software Engineer in the Space Operations Department and is focused on the development and enhancement of indications & warnings (I&W) capabilities related to Space Situational Awareness (SSA) activity using Java-based solutions.
In this position, you will be a member of a small team supporting activity at Kirtland AFB as a member of Polaris Alpha’s Space Operations Department. The job will be performed primarily out of Kirtland AFB, with occasional travel to the Colorado Springs area and DC metro area. You will work with space analysts, software engineers and developers to determine the best way to enhance I&W software capabilities, CONOPS, processes and decision tools. Applicants will work on specific technical tasks as defined by the customer and program/technical management to design and develop the next generation of I&W capabilities for the space community. You will have the opportunity to participate in the design and development of a real-world, cutting edge space systems which are changing how the Space community is doing business.
Candidate must take personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of work, manage own time and priorities to efficiently and effectively achieve goals, identify opportunities for process or quality improvements, and build and maintain constructive working relationships characterized by a high level of acceptance, cooperation, and mutual respect. Candidate must also have strong troubleshooting and communication skills, along with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
The candidate will identify and translate user requirements into system and operational architectures/requirements. The candidate will perform systems engineering in support of analyzing, defining, designing, integrating, and testing of the operational toolsets and related systems to the I&W mission area.
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science or engineering field with 6-12 years technical experience. Relevant domain experience may be accepted in place of a degree.
• Experience with Java backend development
• Experience with Java Persistence API
• Experience with Java Application Servers
• Experience with Java Frameworks (i.e., Spring, Grails, Play)
• Experience designing and developing SOAP and RESTful Services
• Experience with Messaging
• Experience with Designing Scalable Web Applications
• Experience with SQL Database Technologies
• Java/JEE development experience
• Knowledge of XML schemas and associated tools
• Oversee the development and installation of new software
• Install and configure operating systems and other software and routinely test installed software for glitch detection and other issues
• High level of self-motivation, desire to deliver stellar solutions and willingness to work in a distributed team environment
• Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
• Ability to multi-task in a dynamic environment with changing priorities
• Strong troubleshooting and communication skills
• This position requires the selected candidate to hold an active Department of Defense TS/SCI level security clearance which requires US citizenship while working in support of a government contract.
• Security+ Certification
• Familiar with IC/DoD Space Operations
• Experience with object-oriented analysis and design techniques
• Experience with BPEL/BPMN or a similar XML-based business process modeling capability
• Experience in operational and system requirements analysis and development
• Experience in enterprise systems requirements analysis and development
• Experience in requirements management
• Experience with application containerization and open cloud-based architecture and computing.
• Experience with source control tools (e.g., git, Subversion)
• Experience with JIRA or similar issue tracking systems
• Experience with Jenkins or similar build systems.