Less than 5 years experience • Manufacturing / Diversified
Life Science and Photonics company is seeking an energetic self-motivated software engineer for its Sterling, Virginia Imaging Systems division. The company develops and manufactures imaging systems for the life-sciences industry. Salary commensurate with experience.
The Software Engineer will work with the Software team to develop and maintain life-science imaging platforms. The ideal candidate for this role will be someone who has strong C#/C++ development skills and experience designing Windows based instrumentation systems.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Document requirements and design specifications as well as verification plans and test cases
- Participate in code, design and architectural reviews
- Perform coding and unit tests of requirements as they are defined
- Device driver design and implementation
- Software testing and assisting with validation of system design
- Assist with project planning, estimation and tracking
- Report development status to supervisor on a regular basis
- Maintain an orderly laboratory notebook and design history file
- Assist both the service and manufacturing departments in troubleshooting technical problems with software. This includes training of personnel
- Recommend innovations and improved methods, tools, and processes
- Perform other related duties and assignments as required
- Must be fluent programming in C# and/or C++, and have a solid command of object oriented design principles
- Experience with image analysis/processing is a plus
- Experience with Matlab is a plus.
- Experience with WPF is a plus
- In-depth knowledge of building software on Windows Win7/Win10
- Must have excellent verbal, written and listening skills.
- Must be able to work effectively with others both within and external to the engineering group
- Must possess the ability to quickly and creatively solve unexpected problems using strong analytical skills
- The candidate is expected to take the initiative to anticipate or avoid potential problems
- Minimum of a BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering or related field required
- At least 3+ years of proven experience in commercial software design, development, and implementation
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.