Come and work for a billion dollar international research institution. Our collaborative environment and commitment to work/life balance makes Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) an ideal place to advance your career, challenge yourself, and make a difference in the world. We offer excellent benefits including pension, matching 401(k), tuition reimbursement plans, health insurance, and flexible work schedules.
As a National Laboratory, we offer a unique blend of opportunities for the exceptional candidate. This position’s main focus encompasses the design, development, implementation, maintenance, operation, and support of information applications relevant to the administration of PNNL’s business systems. Your work will include: maintaining and operating existing business information systems, partnering with clients to define, build and deliver innovative software solutions to complex business and scientific problems; working with effective teams from multiple disciplines; and recommending and implementing technology standards and software development best practices. As a member of a stable team you are expected to develop knowledge of the goals of projects or clients you are supporting – and maintain a customer service focus commensurate with this position.
Our science and technology inspires and enables the world to live prosperously, safely and securely. Our discoveries not only change the way people think, they increase our nation's energy capacity and improve our national security efforts, making the world a safer and cleaner place.
Located in Richland, Washington, and part of the Tri-Cities community at the confluence of the Columbia, Snake and Yakima rivers, residents enjoy abundant water recreation, award-winning wineries, and more than 300 days of sunshine a year. Far enough away from Seattle and Portland to avoid their rain and daily traffic jams but close enough to visit and enjoy their arts and culture. We're in the perfect position to choose between hiking and snow skiing in the Cascade Mountain range, world-class windsurfing in the Columbia Gorge, or camping in Hells Canyon. Perhaps these are among the reasons the Tri-Cities area is among the top 10 metropolitan growth areas for jobs in the United States, and why Money Magazine included it among its Top 100 Places to Live in America.
Are you a talented software professional who is ready to play a central role in the maintenance and operations of business critical technology? Do you obsess with finding the right way – and believe that simplicity is genius and perfection is the enemy? Have you demonstrated the ability to be a contributing professional who has started to build a reputation for technical expertise – and want to work in an environment where you are expected to grow at a fast pace? Have you provided innovative solutions to a wide range of complex and ambiguous problems with minimal supervision? Are you experienced in all phases of the software development lifecycle and have a clear understanding of software development best practices? Do you have a fearless, positive attitude, and the way in which you achieve success is consistent with the PNNL values of Courage, Integrity, Impact, Collaboration and Creativity? Do you posess the desire to keep abreast of industry trends with the ability to apply those trends in your work? If so, then we would like to talk with you about the current openings in our software delivery group.
You @ PNNL
Your key responsibilities and accountabilities would include:
- Work collaboratively as part of an agile development team that delivers incremental features to a wide range of products;
- Collaborate effectively on diverse teams (e.g., Service / Project managers, domain experts, users, and software engineering team) to design and deploy innovative business information systems across the enterprise;
- Provide technical leadership and individual contribution to software development projects across a broad range of technologies and subject areas;
- Utilize software engineering best practices through the entire software development lifecycle and recommend changes in development, maintenance, and system standards;
- Enhance the technical and professional skills of junior staff through active mentoring and training;
- Assimilate knowledge quickly in a variety of domains.
- Continuously scanning the software development landscape for new technologies and methods to achieve results that can be incorporated into the enterprise;
Success in this role means delivering results through strong leadership and a relentless focus on what’s best for our users. Success means continually holding oneself to the highest of professional and ethical standards and demanding the same of co-workers. Success is believing that you have a positive impact on the research and development efforts at a national laboratory and that your work makes a difference with our clients and users.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field and 5 years’ experience or MSdegree and 3 years’ experience (preferred); or 13 years’ experience.
- Experience developing APIs and RESTful Web Services.
- Strong teaming and communication skills;
- Experience with iterative development practices such as Agile or Scrum;
- Knowledge and experience in the development of complex software systems using development methodologies and best practices;
- Knowledge and experience in applying software design patterns
- Knowledge and experience in applying layered architecture patterns
- Knowledge of secure coding practices (cross-site scripting and SQL injection)
- Experience with React/Redux
- Experience with C# .Net Core
- Experience with creating automated unit test cases
- Experience with Continuous Delivery Tools (Bamboo, Jenkins, GIT) and methodologies
- Experience with containers and container orchestration platforms
- Experience with Web Server Configuration (IIS, Tomcat, Apache)
- Experience with the following tools (Jira, Confluence, Visual Studio)
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306920