The National Audubon Society is expanding our engineering team. We are looking for a Software Engineer to play a critical role in solving problems on existing systems while also working to build out modern solutions that allow Audubon to serve its mission to protect birds and the places they live, today and tomorrow.
The Software Engineer is responsible for designing and implementing technology solutions to support and enhance mission-critical business operations throughout the organization. This includes internal custom web applications and services, database development, and the integration of 3rd-party and vendor-developed systems. This position reports to the Full Stack Engineering Lead.
- At the direction of the Full Stack Engineering Lead, participate in the design and delivery of engineering solutions in a predominately Microsoft stack, considering functionality, data, security, integration, infrastructure, and performance.
- Enthusiasm and desire to play a key role in modernizing the current stack, potentially outside of Microsoft technologies.
- Collaborate with business system analysts, product managers, vendors, and internal clients to provide guidance and delivery for technical solutions.
- Analyze, evaluate, and recommend potential solutions, including custom, 3rd-party, and vendor-developed systems.
- Ensure consistency and compliance to architectural designs.
- Contribute directly to the development, testing, and support of applications and processes.
- Work with product managers to develop project schedules, allocate resources, set priorities, and interact with business clients and vendors.
- Troubleshoot, reverse engineer, and redesign existing systems.
Qualifications and Experience
- 5+ years of experience designing and developing applications, services, and APIs to support various business clients (Finance, HR, Customer Service, etc.) and public-facing systems.
- A Bachelor's Degree in computer science, computer systems engineering, software engineering or mathematics preferred. Equivalent experience and training will be considered in lieu of the degree.
- Experience with relational database management systems.
- Consistent and efficient design, development, and testing methodologies.
- Effective communication skills.
- Professional and collaborative with a sense of ownership.
- Good understanding and technical knowledge of current network and PC operating systems, hardware, protocols, and standards.
- Self-starter who can work as part of a virtual team and remain motivated in a dynamic environment.
- Genuine passion for conservation and the mission of the National Audubon Society.
- Experience with AWS services and architecture or equivalent experience on Azure or Google Cloud preferred.
- Experience with React.js or similar frameworks preferred.
- Salesforce CRM with NPSP, Sales, and Service Cloud preferred.
- MuleSoft (Data Integration) preferred.
- MSSQL Database administration (Replication, Disaster Recovery, Security) preferred.
- .NET enhanced tools (DevExpress/Telerik) preferred.
- Nonprofit experience (Marketing, Finance, Customer Service, Conservation, etc.) a plus.