We are seeking a highly motivated, talented engineer to join our new and growing Seattle Development Team. As part of the Seattle Team, you will provide the foundation for developing features and services on Quill, Narrative Science’s platform for auto-generating narratives from data. This team owns two crucial products that support the business, including one which embeds Quill into existing Business Intelligence platforms (INBI, Integrated Narratives for Business Intelligence) and another which handles a majority of our enterprise customers.
You will do well in this role if you love making practical changes and seeing your products in use. Someone who is “service-minded” will fit in well on our team, meaning you naturally like to find solutions to problems and in general enjoy helping people in any way you can. You take delight in debugging unfamiliar problems. You will be responsible for building features and extending functionality for our platform.
What are you going to do?
- Build new features for our suite of integrated narrative generation extensions and products
- Write code on our backend and frontend services, including client libraries and tooling
- Seek code reviews and code review your peers’ work
- Write unit and functional tests and work with the QA team on the integration test strategy
- Support your products running in production
- Participate in projects that improve the performance and usability of Quill
- Document code and feature set
- Work in an agile team, including sprint planning, daily standups and user story estimation
- Learn various Business Intelligence tools and SDKs in support of embedded Quill products
What are we looking for from you?
- A Bachelor's degree or 1-2 years of professional software development experience
- Proven software related project experience
- Experienceworking with and debugging web applications
- Affinity for a dynamic work environment that builds opportunities for education, collaboration and partnership
- Accountable for results through methods and ownership
- Willingness to partner with a wide variety of people from diverse backgrounds, including engineering, product and professional services team members
- Experience with NoSQL data stores (e.g. MongoDB) is a nice-to-have